Squeaking?

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
RoccoRhys
fill in the right answer: 15

Squeaking?

Post by RoccoRhys »

Seem to have a squeaking noise coming from what sounds like handbreak area. It seems to be related to the speed of the wheels not the revs, as i get fast the squeak does and slower ect. Also when i turn left it goes and then when i turn right it comes back. Any clue? Could be hand break related? Or is there some else down there spinning?
Thanks for your advice.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Village Idiots
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Squeaking?

Post by Village Idiots »

CV joints?

C 20 CCO

Post by C 20 CCO »

Mouse....... sorry, couldn’t resist.
Have you tried lifting the hand brake slightly to see if there is a difference.

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......
You must first be young and stupid!

Previously owned: 1984 1.6 CL in alpine white; 1986 1.6 GT in met light blue over black body kit; 1990 1.8 GT2 in silver.
Currently: 1991 GT2 in Pearl green metallic.
mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

There's nothing that rotates near the handbrake. As mentioned above it's most likely to be driveshaft/CV related and the noise is just radiating down the tunnel.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

I see you posted up on "facecloth" a video with the noise, sounds like metal on metal scrapping to me, I guess it's something to do with the exhaust if it's near the handbrake, there's a few heat shields down there so perhaps an exhaust rubber hanger has broken and the exhaust is rubbing on a metal heat shield.

Get the car in the air and wobble the exhaust around to see/hear if it's hitting anything.

The only other things which can move down there is the gear stick linkage or handbrake cables so if no joy with the exhaust have a look at those...

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
RoccoRhys

Post by RoccoRhys »

mark1gls wrote:I see you posted up on "facecloth" a video with the noise, sounds like metal on metal scrapping to me, I guess it's something to do with the exhaust if it's near the handbrake, there's a few heat shields down there so perhaps an exhaust rubber hanger has broken and the exhaust is rubbing on a metal heat shield.

Get the car in the air and wobble the exhaust around to see/hear if it's hitting anything.

The only other things which can move down there is the gear stick linkage or handbrake cables so if no joy with the exhaust have a look at those...
Thanks for the advice but thats not my video [emoji23] during some research i think cv joint is sounding right, will have to wait till the end of the month to get it looked at!

RoccoRhys

Post by RoccoRhys »

mr.brown wrote:There's nothing that rotates near the handbrake. As mentioned above it's most likely to be driveshaft/CV related and the noise is just radiating down the tunnel.
Thank you! Ill have to get it looked at!

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Oh must be someone else posting on face book about a squeak. :-D

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323