Mk2 Gauge Question

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
MikeS0000
fill in the right answer: 15

Mk2 Gauge Question

Post by MikeS0000 »

Hi Folks!

Scirocco Season is back in Upstate NY! However the 90F++ temperature is not necessarily helping.

Took her out for a nice ride around the local Finger Lakes Region in NY, and what a blast and a lot of looks. Will be posting some pics, but for now have some questions ab out a few things.

This is a GT, German Market car brought to the US in the early 90s.

So, here goes...
- In the interior, there is a gauge next to the ashtray and above the radio. It was stolen some 30 years ag, along with the trim and radio. I have a trim piece for the gauge, fits fine, but can't find any type of gauge that fits it. The trim P/N is 533 863 283 and has a 46mm. opening and a front lip on the opening that is 48mm.

I pulled the radio in there now and cannot find any wires that might connect ti a gauge. Maybe ripped out with the gauge?
My question is, any ideas on the gauge and where to find wiring from the engine compartment?

Many more questions, but will try not to get them confused and will use other posts.

Thanks Gentlemen!!
- Mike S.

blakey
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Mk2 Gauge Question

Post by blakey »

Early cars had a oil temperature gauge and later had a voltmeter. They definitely had a voltmeter if they were equipped with a MFA/injection engine.

'89 Sapphire Scala Inj.
Member No. 1455
unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

Most 52mm gauges will fit, but some bezels will be too big for the trim to fit over it, but Any 52mm VDO gauge will fit.

Usually these would be a Voltmeter or oil temp gauge.

- David
MikeS0000

Post by MikeS0000 »

Thank you Blakey, David!

One more question to show my ignorance. What would indicate an MFA/Injection engine. This is an 8 valve eng. with what looks like a mechanical/injection module.

Found sensors on front and side of engine and above oil filter. Figure these are water, engine? and oil temps, but they probably go to the "Security Light" panel. So probably voltage or maybe outside temp?

- Mike

unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

I don't think there was a carb version in North America (Might be wrong)

You likely have the 8v JH engine (Referred to in Europe as the DX) only other option is the 16v

The sensor locations vary quite a bit, but if you upload a picture of your engine bay they could all be pointed out. The one directly above the oil filter will be an oil temp sensor (Not always used) and above that (Follow the top rad hose to the cylinder head) these are coolant sensors. But some models had temp sensors on the side of the block too.

- David
unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

Oh, just read it's a German import.

If it looks like this then it's a DX - http://scirocco.edat.co.uk/images/2engine.jpg

- David
MikeS0000

Post by MikeS0000 »

Hi David!

Here are a couple of pics (albeit a bit fuzzy) of the engine and interior, where the gauge was very rudely ripped from its home. I wonder if the wires were not also ripped out by the dastardly batard.

- Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ThomasD

Post by ThomasD »

Hi Mike,
Do you happen to have a photo of the build sticker? It would be located in the boot / trunk below the tail lights. There would also be a copy in the maintenance handbook, although a lot of those got lost over time. Looking at your photo, my guess is this is a JH engine, not a DX engine, but the build sticker would tell us for sure, as well as some other things like the gearbox code, interior and exterior colors, and factory installed options list. There should also be a stamp on the top of the engine block just below one of the spark plugs with the engine code and engine number.
Regardless of the exact engine type, you have CIS fuel injection. The box behind the battery with the fuel lines coming out of it is your fuel distributor. The metal can next to it is your fuel filter. Below the fuel distributor is an airbox with an air filter and the black plastic elbow delivers air to the engine.
"MFA" refers to a Multi Function Display ("A" for Anzeiger in German which is indicator or display). This is a LCD display in the instrument panel which shows a few pieces of data which you can select with a button on the stalk - Trip Time, Trip Miles, Average Speed, Average Fuel Economy, Oil Temp, Outside Temp). Only certain model Sciroccos came with these.
Looks nice in red, by the way!
Tom

Mk2 Scirocco Storm
Mk3 Golf GTI VR6
MikeS0000

Post by MikeS0000 »

Hi Tom -

Thanks so much for the information. It is indeed a "JH" engine. I'm going to keep digging around in the gauge and radio cavity for some stray wires.

Unfortunately the owner's manual is long gone, although the origination papers and service details from Germany were still in the glove box. A photo of the Build Sticker is below.

One strange item is the Paint Code. I cannot find any reference to the "SK99" paint code.

Best regards!
- Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ThomasD

Post by ThomasD »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for posting that. You do have a special car! The SK99 code is not a paint color or interior color. "SK" stands for Sonderfarbe Kundenwunsch, literally translated as "Special Color, Customer Wish" - so this car was built to a special customer request, both exterior color and interior. I've never seen this on a Scirocco before.

Best,
Tom

Mk2 Scirocco Storm
Mk3 Golf GTI VR6
MikeS0000

Post by MikeS0000 »

Thanks Tom -

That is most interesting, and no wonder I couldn't find the color code. Well, hopefully I don't have to match the color. But I guess with the machines they have today that really doesn't matter anymore. I was talking to the neighbor who does painting, for a big outfit, and he says they just pull a car in, a computer scans the color and automatically matches it. So much for the 'Old Days!'

When we get a nice day I will take some pics and post them. Gradually getting some details wrapped up.

Best regards!
- Mike

StormRunner

Post by StormRunner »

Hi Mike S.,

Interesting car you have there! Per your trunk sticker it is a 1989 model year, and it was built on Tuesday October 11, 1988.

Being that it's a late ('88-) JH engine, it should also have hydraulic head, lifters & cam.

Since it was imported in the early 90s, I'm guessing that it had to be "federalized" with lights, bumpers, emissions, etc. in order to be legal on US roads. Any additional pics of the car?

Another unusual thing about your trunk sticker is that not a single build option code (M#) is listed. Even "basic" cars normally have a few build codes listed.

Clearing up some confusion about JH vs. DX:
JH and DX are not the same engine, although they share many components.
Both engines existed in European markets simultaneously for a number of years, at different trim levels.
JH was 90-95 HP, while the DX was 112 HP. Referring to one as the "European version" of the other is just incorrect.

You can't easily tell the difference between them just by looking at a picture, unless perhaps you can also see subtle details like the DX external oil cooler setup.
Getting the code off the engine block (or trunk sticker, if you know the engine is original) is the only way to really be sure.

-SR

MikeS0000

Post by MikeS0000 »

Hi SR -

Thanks very much for the info! I'll check the engine code and post it , but for now a quick background.

This car was never federalized, the German National who purchased it took it around the world, came into the West Coast, took it to the East Coast and decided decided not to take it home to Germany. He sold it to a fellow nearby, who couldn't get the title (everything was in German) for it, so he put it in his barn for 25+ years.

The new (25+ year) owner was selling his farm and my son was helping him clean things out. He gave the car to my son who was a mechanic and since it was now 25+ years old qualified for an Historic Registration. He was able to get the new title and get it on the road.

My son passed away two years ago and now the wife and I are finishing up some details and keeping it.

I will check the code and get it into the yard where I can get some o/a photos.

Best Regards!
- Mike

MikeS0000

Post by MikeS0000 »

Some photos of the outside and engine.

MikeS0000

Post by MikeS0000 »

Couple more...