The "Lost" Storms

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
StormRunner
fill in the right answer: 15

The "Lost" Storms

Post by StormRunner »

Thought you guys would be interested to know... 8-)

The "lost" pair of Mk2 Storms that emigrated to the USA several years ago are alive and well!

It's been a few years in the making, but this past Saturday (7/14) at the Deutsche Classic car show in Pennsylvania, fellow SciroccoRegister member ThomasD and I were finally able to get *all two* of the known Storms on our side of the planet together for a meet & greet and photo op. As it happened, ours were also the only two Sciroccos to participate.

Mine is a Cosmos Silver "survivor" that was imported in 2012, and Tom's is a stunning Havana Brown that he personally imported the following year. Over the past ~5 years, we've each tried to keep our cars as stock original and true to their unique Storm heritage as possible, however, mine has been lightly modified with coilovers and different wheels. Both of our "unicorns" now lead pampered lives out of the elements and in the comfort of their dedicated garage spaces.

My Storm currently shows 166K miles on the odometer and, with the exception of the hood and cowl that had been resprayed sometime prior, sports original paint. As one might expect with 34-year-old paint, there's no shortage of "patina" in the form of fading, scratches, chips, and peeling clearcoat. Wheels are forged 15" Le Castellets imported from a Euro B3 Passat G60 that I had mirror-polished (we only had 14" Castellets in the USA, as there were no G60 Passats here, so these are somewhat of a rarity). My plan is all about preservation, up until I have acquired everything necessary to do a complete shell-up restoration. So far, I've done much more unseen work to the car in the name of maintenance and reliability than cosmetics.

Here is a teaser pic from our day, with more to come!
(Astute observers will note my incorrect front bumper sans headlight washers; I'm in the middle of refinishing the original set of bumpers ;-) )
Storms_071418_1.jpg
A little about me and why I love this car:
I'm a certifiable VW maniac for over 30 years. I bought my first Scirocco, a 1982 model, in 1997 (still have it!) and a few more Mk2 and Mk1 Sciroccos have followed me home since then. I'd known of the the legendary Storms for years, but never thought I would see one (especially in America), let alone have the chance to own one - so when opportunity to be a Storm caretaker knocked, I jumped! I've joked that the Storm was the perfect gift to myself - "for the Scirocco nut who has everything" :-D Other than perhaps Tom's, I know I'm not going to see another one at an event or local Cars & Coffee. Also, Cosmos Silver is one of my all-time favorite VW colors.

Comments and questions welcomed! And with that, I'll turn it over to Tom to share info and pics that he would like.

Cheers,
-Eric
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: The "Lost" Storms

Post by mark1gls »

Good to see a couple of Storms alive and well in the USA and they seem to be in good hands and well cared for.
Keep us updated on the projects etc. :-D

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
ThomasD
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ThomasD »

As Eric said, it was great to be able to get our cars together and I'm so glad he emailed and suggested it this year. It was also really nice to have one car of each color to show people. After seeing Richie's (Dr. Dub) website many years ago, I always thought Cosmos Blue was a really nice color and seeing Eric's car in person confirmed it. His super polished Le Castellets are also a work of art.

The show itself is a nice mixture of German marques, with always something interesting to see. This year, ours were the only two Sciroccos, although there were two nice Corrado G60s and a couple of Karmann Ghias.

We had many people come up to us to talk about Sciroccos, either current owners or people who had enjoyed owning them previously. A number of people wanted to know what a "Storm" was. RHD drive cars are also quite unusual in the States, so there are always questions about how hard was it to get used to driving it, what controls are different (no, not the pedals) and so on.

A few more pictures...

The first time I can ever recall seeing a Scirocco in my rear view.
Gratuitous Storm pics
Not something you see everyday. Eric and I both did a double-take.
Eric, who has a vast knowledge of everything VW/Porsche, helped identify the unique color of this pretty 944 S2.
Beautiful Corrado resurrected by a husband/wife pair - stunning job.
Not wanting to be left out, my wife brought her 300,000 mile Beetle to the show.
Nice Audi GT
A nice selection of aircooled VWs as well
Not a Safari or Trekker, it's literally a Thing in the States.

Mk2 Scirocco Storm
Mk3 Golf GTI VR6
GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Lovely stuff.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
16v_coupe

Post by 16v_coupe »

:good: Awesome photos Eric and Tom, maybe someday my black mk1 Storm make it out to Deutsche Classic :vcool:

88 Scirocco 16v, 1.8 litre PL, L90E
87 Scirocco 16v, 2.0 litre 16v 9A, LY3D
82 Scirocco S2, 2.0 litre 16v 9A, LK5Y
81 Scirocco S1, 1.6 litre 16v EW/PL, LA3V
80 Scirocco Storm, 1.6 EG, L98F, GTG 951W (sold, in PA)

:pilot:
DT1

Post by DT1 »

Very nice.