Need Help after attempted theft MK2 Scala

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
Nuckleduster
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Need Help after attempted theft MK2 Scala--Update

Post by Nuckleduster »

Got all the bits to repair the sunroof--a big thankyou Jack--what a star!! The 6mm ally has arrived today to make the tilt and slide guides--lot of work with the dremel again. Car is off the road untill the sunroof repaired and refitted together with a Thatcham alarm and immobiliser--If I catch the idiot who did the damage then he can choose which hospital he will wake up in.--Gerry

91 Scirocco Scala 1.8 inj rolling shell gone but not forgotten
90 Scirocco Scala 1.8 inj Colour Dark Metalic Green daily ride
Vw MK4 Golf Estate @180bhp Daily working car--Silver
94 Corrado 2.9 VR6 Metalic purple--gone to Manchester--
Jack92
Site Admin

Re: Need Help after attempted theft MK2 Scala

Post by Jack92 »

No worries buddy :-) let us know how you get on with the repair and defo some images of the brackets when there made!

Jack
South East

www.motorsportdiscounts.co.uk
Seat Leon 1.8T 20V - Track Car
VW Scirocco Scala 1.8 Inj - Toy
Ford Transit 2.0 - Work Horse

Jack
South East

VW Scirocco Scala MK2 1.8 Inj
Jaguar XE

www.jackgregory.me.uk
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Worth investing in a Disklok as well, it’s a good deterrent to any thief as they take some time to remove.

http://www.disklokuk.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaI ... gJcHPD_BwE

Shop about for a good price.

Small size is ok for Scirocco steering wheel.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
james butler

Post by james butler »

mark1gls wrote:Worth investing in a Disklok as well, it’s a good deterrent to any thief as they take some time to remove.

http://www.disklokuk.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaI ... gJcHPD_BwE

Shop about for a good price.

Small size is ok for Scirocco steering wheel.
they even pop up on eBay for £30 sometimes.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
Nuckleduster

Post by Nuckleduster »

Hi all,
Thanks to everyone who contributed to getting the Scala repaired. the sunroof bits are certainly hard to come by. I am glad to say she is back on the road after fitting a Thatcham Cat 1 alarm and immobiliser (2 circuit). The unit worked for 24 hours then fell silent and I couldn`t get into the programming mode--what a PITA. The siren proved to be o.k and problem was with the alarm module. Having fitted a replacement module and programmed various options, the alarm is fully functioning and painfully loud.Thanks to Southern Car Security (Miguel) for his help with the problems with the alarm--the dam thing is sensitive--had a small leak from the sunroof today because the rear rain tray came off its pins and the drips that went into the car tripped the interior sensors and the alarm went off--next person who tries to interfere with the car will get a surprise before the baseball bat smacks them.Apart from this the alarm hasn`t false triggered and is very stable in its operation--Its a Cobra 4198 with battery backed up siren--if any wire gets cut or the battery is disconnected then the thing goes off and have placed the siren in the most difficult place to get at especially when ists wailing its head off--well worth the £150 with all the extra cloth backed tape and braided trunking I bought to hide the alarm wires,
thanks once again
Gerry

james butler

Post by james butler »

glad to hear you got it back on the road gerry, hopefully the toerags that attacked the car last time will think twice and leave it alone now.
im still dead impressed you managed to make those guides from scratch :good:

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Good to hear you got it back together, I still recommend getting a Disklok as it’s a great visual deterrent, most car thief’s will see a Disklok and try another car, an alarm does not go off till they try and break in..

2 deterrence is better than 1... :-D

Membership No. 323
Jack92
Site Admin

Post by Jack92 »

Nice one bud glad to hear it’s back on the road

Jack
South East

Jaguar XE

www.jackgregory.me.uk
Nuckleduster

Post by Nuckleduster »

Hi all,
Those tilt and slide guides were a PITA to make-but when I bought the car they were knackered then and I had to make 2 up. This time wasn`t so bad because I had the experience and some extra attachments for my Dremel. To speed up the job a Dremel attachment to convert the drill to a pillar drill was a real help especially for the curved parts of the guides. They still needed a lot of filing with needle files to smooth out the drill marks untill the runners slide without any binding. Will be waiting for a decent couple of days so that I can take the whole mech out and go through it with a fine tooth comb to get it working 100% and renew the trim panel covering. Also will need to pull the seats and carpets to get them properly dry. Will be fitting some extra sound insulation and tracing those elusive noises--I like a quiet car!
I have mixed feelings about fitting a disk lock as I have heard reports that the scumbags use the lever to break the steering lock--Might invest in a transmission/handbrake lock. As usual with a classic car, if I can`t find what I am after then I will be making it from scratch and highly visible.
Best Wishes to all
Gerry

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

The Disklok just spins on the steering wheel, you can use it to break the steering lock, you are thinking about those arm style locks you put on the steering wheel as yes you can use them the break the steering lock and they take less than a 1 minute to remove, the Disklok did stand up to a good 5 minute attack.

Have a read a look for your self.

http://www.disklokuk.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaI ... gJk5_D_BwE

Is this the type you are thinking of? Avoid these like the plague...
http://www.argos.co.uk/product/2798499? ... gJgC_D_BwE

Membership No. 323
moser

Post by moser »

I had one of the handbrake/gear lever ones in my old mini. Stopped using it when i realised you could easily unscrew the gear knob and lift it off!

91 Scirocco Scala - Too low for MOT ramps apparently
03 Seat Cordoba PD130 - Daily
52 Golf 1.6 - Mrs' shopping trolley
Jack92
Site Admin

Post by Jack92 »

moser wrote:I had one of the handbrake/gear lever ones in my old mini. Stopped using it when i realised you could easily unscrew the gear knob and lift it off!
I’ve got one of these... never thought of that.. I’d make a rubbish thief.

Might not bothered with it anyway haha

Jack
South East

Jaguar XE

www.jackgregory.me.uk
Nuckleduster

Post by Nuckleduster »

Hi all,
Just an update--car alarm working well--pissed the MOT examiner off!!Car went through even though the MOT is tougher this year after cv boots all changed--originals had to be cut off and messy job to clean out 29yr old grease. When the weather isnt quite so hot will be pulling out the sunroof to fit new guides and retrim the cover plate.I have problems with the tank venting and going to investigate tomorrow as I`ve been busy with work--had a day off today to watch GP--first for about 6 weeks
Thanks for all the help and will be putting car into bodyshop for repairs and respray soon to rectify damage done in the attempted theft.
I came accross a good transmission lock the other day fitted to a Polo I was repairing--looked good and strong and impossible to defeat, yet simple to fit lock on--will be looking into it further
Gerry