Sunroof drain problem; how to fit new pipe?

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
carlosiw
fill in the right answer: 10

Sunroof drain problem; how to fit new pipe?

Post by carlosiw »

Hi everyone!

Had rain water in the boot for some time now, always starting with a puddle under the n/s speaker shelf on the ledge next to wheel arch. Turns out it is running down inside the C pillar from the sunroof. But when tested by pouring water into the sunroof drainage channel, LOADS of water comes out of the drainage pipe under the rear wheel arch, where it should, so the pipe doesn't seem to be blocked. So could there be a hole in the pipe letting some water out somewhere inside the headlining? How would I go about replacing the whole pipe? I can't see where it connects at the sunroof end; so how do you get to it; is there an easy way or do I have to take out the whole headlining?!

Thanks in advance for any ideas, this is a bit of a nightmare!

Cheers!

Scirocco GTX 16v (conversion) Eibach/KW suspension, Stainless exhaust, Rear discs.
DT1

Re: Sunroof drain problem; how to fit new pipe?

Post by DT1 »

Check that you don't have any holes around the edge of the sunroof. I had a leak like yours and it turned out that a couple of paint bubbles on the lip where the seal sat were actually rusted all the way through and that's where the leak was.

carlosiw

Re: Sunroof drain problem; how to fit new pipe?

Post by carlosiw »

Thanks for that, I'll have another look tomorrow. Didn't notice any rust spots but maybe now I'm looking for them..

Scirocco GTX 16v (conversion) Eibach/KW suspension, Stainless exhaust, Rear discs.