NEED SOME HELP!

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section

Moderator: Scirocco Register

Connormk2GT
fill in the right answer: 15

NEED SOME HELP!

Post by Connormk2GT » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:00 pm

Hi people, my scirocco is going to be repaired in a few weeks, dents, rust and lacquer etc.
However, the rubber bump strips are worse for wear and probably need replacing to look decent. Does anyone know where I can get these, also the numbers and black arches and trim have paint spray. These don't look or feel like they've been painted. Is there anything I can do to get these all black and nice again as the numbers also have scuffs on them. The car is a 1987 mk2 1.6 GT AUTO. I know it's probably really expensive but does anyone also know if it is possible to do a manual convertion. When I put my car into things like go compare it comes up as my car being auto? Is there a reason for this?
Anything will be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!!

unknownmale

Re: NEED SOME HELP!

Post by unknownmale » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:27 pm

If it says Auto i'm assuming your car has an automatic gearbox. If it doesn't then I'd guess that it was switched to manual at some point and the DVLA were not told. But as you're asking about a conversion I assume it is an auto.

You can do a conversion, but probably works out cheaper to just sell your car and get a manual. You would need a new steering column, gearbox, clutch flywheel (Autos run a flexplate), starter, gear linkages, shifter, clutch cable, I believe a new speedo cable, brake and clutch pedal, driveshafts, gearbox mount (Autos run a different mount), You would also need to loop the Park neutral safety switch wiring or it'll never start. I think that's about it.

I'd advise just buying a manual car, or if you're attached to this particular car, buy a manual and switch the gearboxes over. If you're not doing this yourself it'll likely cost more than the car is worth to do.

You can spray the body kit. I just sprayed mine recently. If you want them to remain the black, use a satin black. Look out on eBay for the bump strips, or ask someone who is breaking a scirocco. Also worth putting an ad up in the wanted section here.

- David

Connormk2GT

Post by Connormk2GT » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:13 pm

Great helps a lot, the car is automatic but sites say the car is manual but can't see someone would have converted it from manual to automatic??

Eagle1

Post by Eagle1 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:30 am

One of my cars is also an auto but does show up as a manual. I do know that mine is an import to UK RHD spec.

unknownmale

Post by unknownmale » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:31 pm

I wouldn't put too much faith in the DVLA database. But check your V5

- David

hiltow

Post by hiltow » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:00 am

Strange but true: the DVLA did frequently make mistakes registering vehicles when they were new, so this isn't as unusual as you would think.

I had this issue with my GT, which is straight out of the box and low mileage; not the sort of candidate for doing a transmission conversion. Mine is manual, but always came up as auto.

Some of my work colleagues are ex-DVLA local office staff who explained that this type of error was very easy to make (and did happen when inputting the vehicle data from the manufacturer build sheet into the DVLA database system when registering a vehicle) back in the '80s. It's all to do with letter codes uued to denote primary information, such as colour and transmission type. Armed with this knowledge, after I bought the car I was able to arrange for this to be corrected on the DVLA database.

Doing a conversion is possible, but simple not worth it due to the number of parts involved - the carb is also different on the auto models as well.

Unless you car isn't original, you needn't worry about it being altered because it simply won't have been.