Best Clutch and flywheel for 020 gearbox. 20vt.

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section

Moderator: Scirocco Register

Scottl15
fill in the right answer: 15

Best Clutch and flywheel for 020 gearbox. 20vt.

Post by Scottl15 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:39 pm

Hi,

Recently completed a 20vt conversion on my Scirocco. I am using the standard gearbox for the time being, I will be replacing at some point with an 02J but for the time being I want it just back on the road (have owned the car a month, took me 3 weeks to complete the engine swap :lol: )

So what would be my best options? I'm running a standard AUQ lump.

I don't want to spend ridiculous amounts on doing this as obviously it will be changed out relatively soon, however I am slipping pretty much as soon as it comes on boost at the moment!

Cheers 8-)

james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Best Clutch and flywheel for 020 gearbox. 20vt.

Post by james butler » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:24 pm

the problem is if your clutch is slipping because of the power your making your going to destroy that gearbox if you put a stronger clutch in.
i would put another standard clutch in and take it easy until you can get the o2j box in there and put a decent clutch and flywheel in.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!

Rocco2

Post by Rocco2 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:12 am

Hi,

I'm currently finishing (hopefully soon) same project. I also will use the 020.

Talked to a former rally mechanic, who's been tinkering those old school Volkswagens for ages.

He said that the 020 would last 180hp easily BUT the problem, why they fail, is that they are old and hasn't got any proper maintenance. So he said, check, fix the 020 and don't be dumbass driver and you should be fine.
They used in rally cross Golf1 with 020 gearbox and proper torsen LSD and it managed just fine.

So I got for my self a opened up and checked thoroughly, 020 short-ratio 7G box, with decent parts.
For the clutch I did put in the Sachs strengthen one.

And if it fails then 02j it is then :D

Rocco goes turbo

james butler

Post by james butler » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:07 pm

@ Rocco2
the reason the rally mechanic said the O2O box would take 180bhp is because hes a rally mechanic and the box isnt going to be standard by the time hes done messing with it.
the most common thing to go on these is the rivits that hold the diff together that can shear causing catastophic damage to the box.
ive changed at least 2 that have let go in this fashion.
seing as they fitted a decent LSD that would be how they got around the above problem as you have to drill the old rivits out to fit it and replace them with much stronger bolts.
the other is damaged syncro causing a very VERY common crunch into second, again no one i know has gone to the bother to repair this problem and its going to happen much more often putting more power through the box.
being a rally cross engineer it wouldn't surprise me if he fitted straight cut gears into the box replacing 1st, 2nd and 3rd.
how much is all that going to cost?
i agree maintenance is very lax on these boxes with most people never ever changing the gear oil which in my opinion is ridiculous and should be changed once every ten years just to get rid of particals floating about in there.
but many of these gearboxes have been damaged by at best 112bhp (with the exception of the 16v which im not sure is the same O2O box) from new so whats going to happen when you bolt it to a 150BHP+ lump.
im not saying it cant be done but unless your truly mechanically sympathetic when driving it realistically it isn't going to last long
you have to ask yourself if it really wasn't a problem why would vw go to all the bother to make the O2A or O2J gearbox.
save yourself the cost of a rebuild and put it toward converting to hydro.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!

Rocco2

Post by Rocco2 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:27 pm

Alright, good to know about the 020 bad side.

I trust others experience and took for backup from a A3 02j with shift tower and etc, now just need a Corrado pedal box and all set when the old 020 makes a number on itself :D

Thanks for the input.

Rocco goes turbo

Scottl15

Post by Scottl15 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:23 am

Just to update this..

Ended up changing the gearbox out for an 02j box and tower. Went with the clutch cable and actuator rather than going hydro. Whilst I was there I changed the clutch out for a stage 1, it's currently taking 245bhp with no signs of slipping :) maybe time for a K04 :p

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:45 pm

Good to hear it's on the road and going ok, thanks for the feed back as this will help others out.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323