Mk2 Scirocco engine swap with a 5 cyclinder 10v..

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
VWChris
fill in the right answer: 15

Mk2 Scirocco engine swap with a 5 cyclinder 10v..

Post by VWChris »

Need Help!!

I have just bought a 1986 Mk 2 Scirocco 1.8 8v (carbed), as well as just buying a Passat GL5 1986 2.0l 5 cylinder 10v.....

I want to re-build the GL5 engine and use this in the Scala. Using the Passat as a donor car.

Are there any build logs on this forum that can help me with this "project"??

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

mr.brown

Re: Mk2 Scirocco engine swap with a 5 cyclinder 10v..

Post by mr.brown »

I have a feeling this doesn't work as the 5 cylinder is too wide - I certainly would interested to see if one was ever done.

VWChris

Post by VWChris »

Starting to get the engine out today, labelled all off the loom. The Passat fuse box looks very similar. Regards to size, I think it's going to fit but there is going to have to be some "diy" engine mounts. Preying i can use the scirocco gearbox and it fits the block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scirsteve

Post by scirsteve »

I looked into the same for my gtx, I'm sure I found the transverse 020 gearbox bell housing doesn't fit the 5 cyl bolt pattern?

Searched on-line at the time and only found mk2 golfs with the 5 cylinders mounted longways as in the following clips.

this one shows a large square cut out of the bulkhead for gearbox etc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSkEz7uAZyg

another mk2 golf with s2 5cylinder mounted longways
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBiFgEdgQZk

I'm guessing that, whether mounted transverse or longways, it would involve plenty of work.

In my case I decided either a vr5/6 would be less costly/time consuming.

I used to own passat 5 cylinders, fantastic sound and extremely strong, would be a great combo in the mk2 if you can figure it. Good luck

mk2 gtx