Safe products to remove old bonnet lining glue?

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
Jiffy
fill in the right answer: 15

Safe products to remove old bonnet lining glue?

Post by Jiffy »

Hi,

So the time has come for me to replace the bonnet lining on my '84 Rocco. I've removed the old lining, but it has left behind its glue- I've been recommended tar and glue remover to use to remove it.

My question is whether normal tar and glue remover (like from Halfords) will be kind to the old paint on my Rocco or could it damage it?

Thanks for any help in advance! :-)

1984 MK2 GL
unknownmale

Re: Safe products to remove old bonnet lining glue?

Post by unknownmale »

I've not done this before, but my first move would be with a bit of heat and a scrapper I reckon before trying anything chemical.

- David
BlackGTX

Post by BlackGTX »

Gunk engine de greaser takes it off, petorl will do the job too

Make sure the surface is clean before sticking new ones on

Jiffy

Post by Jiffy »

unknownmale wrote:I've not done this before, but my first move would be with a bit of heat and a scrapper I reckon before trying anything chemical.
Okay thanks for the advice, would you recommend maybe a filler spreader to use as a scraper?

1984 MK2 GL
Jiffy

Post by Jiffy »

BlackGTX wrote:Gunk engine de greaser takes it off, petorl will do the job too

Make sure the surface is clean before sticking new ones on
Okay thanks for the reply, just one of these and a rag?

1984 MK2 GL
unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

Jiffy wrote:
unknownmale wrote:I've not done this before, but my first move would be with a bit of heat and a scrapper I reckon before trying anything chemical.
Okay thanks for the advice, would you recommend maybe a filler spreader to use as a scraper?
I think you'd need a metal scrapper to make any progress

- David
Jiffy

Post by Jiffy »

unknownmale wrote:
Jiffy wrote:
I think you'd need a metal scrapper to make any progress
Okay thanks for your advice :-D

1984 MK2 GL
Blueshark
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by Blueshark »

Glue residue removal.

Take the bonnet from the car, turn it over on a table with a blanket on it, use terpentine or glue remover.

It sounds like a lot of work, but your engine and your back will be gratefull. :-)

Do not use a metal scraper, you will scratch the paint and getting rusting in progress.

Soak a cloth and rub it down and use the plastic scraper you use to aply decalss and so on.

Make sure all is clean and dry before putting the nes lining on.

Sticking instruction sound proofing MKI & MKII

It is just peel of and stick in, no extra's needed.

Place the soundproofing in its place, each can go only in one place.

Make a nice and even fit all around, hold down half with one hand, lift up a corner, peel off the backing as far as possible, fold it underneath a bit and gently let the soundproofing fold back gently, then press in place, lift up the non stuck rest, peel of the remaining backing and gently place the rest of the soundproofing, do not pull to much because it will get out of shape.

Remember that it sticks like He.. and is almost impossible to remove and stick back on again.

Have you found the little pieces in the box ?, try to stick these and remove again, any problems just ask.

Good luck, Joost

Jiffy

Post by Jiffy »

Blueshark wrote:Glue residue removal.

Take the bonnet from the car, turn it over on a table with a blanket on it, use terpentine or glue remover.

It sounds like a lot of work, but your engine and your back will be gratefull. :-)

Do not use a metal scraper, you will scratch the paint and getting rusting in progress.

Soak a cloth and rub it down and use the plastic scraper you use to aply decalss and so on.

Make sure all is clean and dry before putting the nes lining on.

Sticking instruction sound proofing MKI & MKII

It is just peel of and stick in, no extra's needed.

Place the soundproofing in its place, each can go only in one place.

Make a nice and even fit all around, hold down half with one hand, lift up a corner, peel off the backing as far as possible, fold it underneath a bit and gently let the soundproofing fold back gently, then press in place, lift up the non stuck rest, peel of the remaining backing and gently place the rest of the soundproofing, do not pull to much because it will get out of shape.

Remember that it sticks like He.. and is almost impossible to remove and stick back on again.

Have you found the little pieces in the box ?, try to stick these and remove again, any problems just ask.

Good luck, Joost
Hi Joost,

Sorry for the slow reply, only just seen this! Thanks for the advice, I'll follow this. I'll let you know how I get on!

Thanks! :-D

1984 MK2 GL
farley381

Post by farley381 »

I know you'll all tell me I did wrong, but having struggled to remove the old glue, I figured it was still firmly attached & stuck the new pads on top of the old glue. Has worked for me, but clearly might not work for others, hence cannot be guaranteed. Good luck.

1987 GTX (Flash Silver)
dgeorj

Post by dgeorj »

I used 3M Adhesive Remover before and it worked great.

Jiffy

Post by Jiffy »

farley381 wrote:I know you'll all tell me I did wrong, but having struggled to remove the old glue, I figured it was still firmly attached & stuck the new pads on top of the old glue. Has worked for me, but clearly might not work for others, hence cannot be guaranteed. Good luck.
Too tempting to do ;-)

1984 MK2 GL
Jiffy

Post by Jiffy »

dgeorj wrote:I used 3M Adhesive Remover before and it worked great.
Okay thanks, the tar and glue remover seems to be working fine at the moment, with a bit of elbow grease! :-D

1984 MK2 GL