G562LWU

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
fill in the right answer: 15

G562LWU

Post by 0055 »

Hi. Just recently bought a 1990 scala which was advertised on volkszone.
It hadn't been ran for 10 years, but fired straight up. Planning on doing a full strip down and rebuild over the next year or so.
Condition wise, its pretty good. It has rust on the door (for which I've already bought a new door skin) and rust on top of the rear drivers side suspension tunnel. One of the things I've already read up about is the fuel filler neck. Mine doesn't look to clever. Can anyone help with the exact part number for it? They still seem to be available from the USA.
Seats have a couple of little holes, for which I'll buy some fabric from Germany and get them retrimmed.
Really looking forward to getting stuck in.
Previously had a 1994 Corrado VR6 as a project, so am not completely new to VW.
Will get some pics up asap.

Re: G562LWU

Post by 0055 »

IMG_0174.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post by 0055 »

IMG_0173.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Little project for you.

Common problem with the rear wheel arch as the bracket for the fuel filler neck holds the mud in the area and they rust.

There is a thread about someone making stainless steel filler necks, only Mk1 available at the moment but they are looking into Mk2, have a search on here.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323

Post by 0055 »

Hi. Does anyone know if the roof trim strips are available anywhere, or have a part number so I can search for them? I looked on 7zap, but couldn't see anything.Have had a search on here and seen they can be troublesome to remove. But, mine are missing!

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

No, you'll need to go on the hunt for good 2nd hand ones.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX

Post by 0055 »

When I got the car I noticed it had no coolant in. It didn’t bother me when I fired it up as I was only running it for a few minutes. I’m starting the resto pretty soon, so wanted to run the engine with coolant to give it a test. As soon as I filled it up, it started pouring out the back of the block. Using the inspection mirror, I could see one of the core plugs has popped out. The car was stood for 10 ish years in a large wood/brick building, so it could have got pretty cold in there. But I was wondering, has anyone come across this before? I have done a reasonable amount on cars over the years and I’ve never actually had one pop out. Like I’ve said before, it’s all coming out for an overhaul anyway, but I want to try and suss out potential problems before they arise.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Old coolant left in the engine and it froze pushing out the core plug normal as coolant does not last forever.
Get a new plug, clean block and tap the new one in.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323

Post by 0055 »

Cheers for the reply. I’ve seen there not to much to buy.

XUD9TE

Post by XUD9TE »

I had the exact same problem with my rocco, it had been off the road since 1999 and when I went to fill it with coolant it poured out of the back of the engine. The core plug was completely missing. No problem as a new one on eBay was a only a few quid. The size you need is 36.6 mm iirc. Was a bit of a faff as there was very little room to swing a hammer as the exhaust was in the way, but if your taking the engine out doing it will be a 2 second job.

essextom

Post by essextom »

Nice looking project there, pretty normal issues you have there. I sell new stainless filler necks (currently out of stock but will have more in soon ) available here- https://dreadnoughtcustoms.co.uk/

Post by 0055 »

Thanks. I messaged you the other week actually about the filler necks, I’m not quite ready for one yet. But will definitely be getting one as soon as I am. Gonna get stuck into the car over the next couple of weeks.

Post by 0055 »

Little update. Realistically I’m going to struggle time wise to do full resto, so I thought I’d spend some time giving it a ‘recommissioning’ to get it back on the road if it’s possible and if not, then go down the resto route when time allows. Tapped in the core plug, it was pretty easy to do from underneath actually and filled it with water to test the cooling system. It’s leaking slightly from the coolant flange. I have ordered another one which should be here this week, so I’ll get it on ASAP and retest. Also, the cooling fan isn’t cutting in, so I need to test that out. Hopefully just the fuse, but I have seen the switch or the fan aren’t really to much money so shouldn’t be to bad.

mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

Test the fan by removing the connector from the fan switch and bridging the connector - or connectors if a two-speed fan. You can do this with the engine off as it all runs directly from the battery.

As I recently discovered for the first time (after 60/70+ Sciroccos!!) an air lock can sometimes form around the coolant switch area in the radiator. When refilling the system with coolant always run the engine with the coolant cap off for a few minutes to expel air. Also make sure the heater slider is set to hot when doing this.

Also a good idea to remove the radiator and flush with a hose - then reverse flush. With the radiator+fan out you can then get a hose in and flush the rest of the system too.

Post by 0055 »

Cheers for the heads up. I’m gonna give it a go one night this week. I had never even thought about an air lock. You never know, I might get lucky!