Why am i struggling to sell my GT2 ??

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
EarlHickey
fill in the right answer: 15

Why am i struggling to sell my GT2 ??

Post by EarlHickey »

Help!! pointers appreciated.

Sadly having to sell my GT2, its listed on gumtree and the for sale section here.

I believe its now priced right at £1600

MOT until Nov 17, straight car needing a little tlc

Im getting very little interest and what I am getting is from total time wasters.

Am I mad ??? or is it the buying public? or is it simply that very few people love the Scirocco MK2 ?

Thanks in advance for any pointers

BillyBob780

Re: Why am i struggling to sell my GT2 ??

Post by BillyBob780 »

Ive just got mine this week I paid £900. BUT it has been interfered with.. ( dodgy alloys... bits missing and old goofy wiring and other bits) Ill be honest mate yours is a good price Id even say slightly below average rate. But mine was a total impulse buy as Im of an age when I was in my twenties (sniff) the Scirroco was out of my price bracket. I ve had American cars since then. But got bored and bought mine to mess with bring back my youth and hopefully stop my hairline getting high up my forehead..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

EarlHickey

Post by EarlHickey »

Thanks, its priced to sell and is a straight car needing a little tlc, basically a weekends work and a couple of hundred quid would turn it into a really nice car, maybe the Sciroccos are not as desirable as I thought?

essextom
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by essextom »

I think Rocco' are quite hard to price. Check eBay for sold roccos to see if your price is around the right amount.

unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

Yeah, it's hard to predict the actual price, i've bought them from £170 up to £1400. Worth noting that the price you see them advertised for and the price they sell for a very different.

Like Tom said, look at the auctions to see what they sell for, unfortunately if it's not an ultra low mile car or an injection, the price is typically lower than £1600

- David
EarlHickey

Post by EarlHickey »

Thanks essextom iv'e had a look at ebay, it seems old buckets are selling dirt cheap, good examples are in the range that mines up for. I guess its down to the right person seeing it.

EarlHickey

Post by EarlHickey »

Thanks unknownmale, so are you thinking its a touch too high?

whiteshark

Post by whiteshark »

Your pics are not great and there are no photos under the bonnet. In your ad you clearly state it has been stored. I think a lot of people would be put off by this if they can't see the condition under the bonnet. As above, Carb models if sitting can cause a minefield of problems, where as a running injection is way more reliable. You also state there are a number of small problems. Be more honest. Put a list in of good points, does it drive well, what has been replaced recently and then bad points that need addressed. If someone is interested they have to be sure of the bad points. Not all people on here are mechanics. But if they know from the list they could tackle the jobs as an easy fix, they may be more inclined to buy. Take a picture of the car from the side, front, rear, a pic of one wheel and a shot from under the bonnet and not at an angle. Is there any history or documentation with the car that shows its service history. Is there an immobiliser fitted spare key etc. The more info that sells the better. GLWS!

EarlHickey

Post by EarlHickey »

Thanks whiteshark, thats the best advice ive had!!

Jerry Atric

Post by Jerry Atric »

Yes indeed , whiteshark is spot on with his advice. However, there are two issues here I think.....one is the popularity of the Scirocco.....it's just crazy, but they do not have the following that they really deserve. Mk1 and Mk 2 Golfs are very popular ( especially in GTI form ) and yet the poor old Scirocco hardly gets a look in when, IMHO , they are a far better car and of course back in the '80's were VeeDubs top of the range model.
I now have three of the beasts ( or darlings depending on how well they are running ) and they are all injected.

I'd not be tempted by a carb model altho' I'm sure they do go well, but back in the day , they were definitely thought of as the poor relation and indeed VW marketed them at a significantly lower price. So what you have to look at is not all Sciroccos, but just the carb models when you do your price comparison. The GTI's will always sell for more depending of course on their condition. Your car looks in super condition, but a few purists might be put off by the car having a Webasto sunroof.

Sorry if I'm sounding too harsh, but all I can say is keep advertising, and get some really good pictures in an up-market setting ....check the angles that car manufacturers use for their brochures and emulate them. Summer is coming so should be a great time to sell a car with that large sunroof.

Hope you get it sold and .....in a few years......don't live to regret selling it! ONE of these days, they are going to become collectable I'm positive, they are just too good a car not to be.

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Your car does have a big hole in the roof, which won't appeal to everyone.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
big_wig_074

Post by big_wig_074 »

except us taller guys who use it for extra head room, as the mrs says, every inch counts!

EarlHickey

Post by EarlHickey »

Hi all, thanks for advice and pointers, ive reduced the cost and updated the ad, now getting more enquiries.

C 20 CCO

Post by C 20 CCO »

I struggle to understand why people don’t see the attraction of the Rocco. Take this evening for instance, I had to collect a tent purchase on flea bay from south Manchester, so since it’s a nice evening I take my Rocco. I meet a mk1 Golf convertible on the M66, follow in convoy for a few junctions. The horns of people passing always makes me smile.
After loading the tent in the boot, a green Toyota reverses back at breakneck speed to where i’m Parked. The guy winds down the window and tries to speak. Nothing said for a few tense seconds..... then speaking quickly said bloody lovely car mate. Absolutely cracking, his body language spoke volumes in dumbstruck, star struck whatever... Then he drives off as there’s a queue behind him.
Might just be a marmite thing.... I love it.... :beers:

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......
You must first be young and stupid!

Previously owned: 1984 1.6 CL in alpine white; 1986 1.6 GT in met light blue over black body kit; 1990 1.8 GT2 in silver.
Currently: 1991 GT2 in Pearl green metallic.
Village Idiots

Post by Village Idiots »

Happens all the time, as I use my Scala as my daily driver.
Get the same when I'm out on my bike and sidecar.
People love something different 'til it comes with parting with their cash, then they go safe and boring!