IS there a difference between e36 & e46 fuel pipes?

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
hodg87
fill in the right answer: 15

IS there a difference between e36 & e46 fuel pipes?

Post by hodg87 »

I'm thinking to re-attempt fitting a BMW fuel filler neck after last time it split under heat when trying to bend! I'm just wondering whether there is a difference between the e36 & e46 pipes as when I have looked for parts available those advertised as e46 seem to be the same if not similar shape to the e36 I had previously tried. The one below is advertised as E46 - anyone know if they are the same? The E46 is more readily available.

mk2daz

Re: IS there a difference between e36 & e46 fuel pipes?

Post by mk2daz »

I would love to know this as I'm also planning to fit this in the future, did you try fill it with sand when bending?

Also if you join the e36 parts for sale page on Facebook there are cars being broken every other day and the filler necks generally go for about 15-30£

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hodg87

Post by hodg87 »

I didn't fill with sand, which may be the reason for it splitting but I couldn't see at the time how packing it with sand would have prevented that from happening, but as suggested by yourself and others it could well do the trick. I'm going to get one sorted soon and I'll get back to you once I know any more.

mk2daz

Post by mk2daz »

No problem, will be good to find out as il be tackling this some point in the future. I think the Rocco fuel cap fits right on as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by james butler »

i ordered a new one from the dealers thinking newer pipe would be easy to bend...............nope mine split just like yours did.
so i cut the end off and used the metal throat and made my own steel pipe replacement.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
hodg87

Post by hodg87 »

James, tell me how you did this? What part did you cut off to reuse and how did you get steel pipe to fit? Forgive me if I'm missing how you did this I'm just curious as might be a method I can use.

james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by james butler »

i simply cut and welded 38mm diameter exhaust pipe to the shape i needed and cut the metal end of the bmw pipe off where the cap goes and welded that on too. the hard part is at the cap end you need to expand the pipe to around 60mm to make the cap socket fit and add breather connection.
you could make one from 38mm exhaust thats pre shaped and then get someone to weld it up for you.
thats what i plan to do if i need to make another.
joost aka blueshark can get the end caps the filler cap fits into.
its been mentioned before to mod the mk1 golf filler neck as its a closer match than the bmw filler neck (only the bmw neck is plastic which is why people want it).

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!