GTII keep as auto or swap to manual...

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
jpr1977
fill in the right answer: 15

GTII keep as auto or swap to manual...

Post by jpr1977 »

I'm looking to finally get the 'rocco back on the road this year. The question is do i keep it in its factory auto state or convert it to manual (I have everything needed for the swap I collected years ago)

Its in very good fettle given its sat in a garage for nigh on 8yrs, but will obviously need the normal recomisssioning.

I'm just not sure whether to keep it as is in auto flavour or go the manual route...

Thoughts would be appreciated.

The car in question...

mr.brown

Re: GTII keep as auto or swap to manual...

Post by mr.brown »

Manual swap = more fun to drive and more economical (depending on how much fun you're having of course).
Auto on 14s = lazy one finger driving.
Depends what you want :-)

And when you say you have "everything" for the swap - are you sure? Steering rack? Driveshafts?

jpr1977

Post by jpr1977 »

Yes everything (I hope...). I have a list from a how to i saved off here (well the old website) many many moons ago, as well as one i picked off vortex and got all the parts from a car being broken and new parts where required and its all sitting in the boot (I also have a garage full of spares from 20 odd years of messing with water cooled Vw's)

I have a mk1 golf gti for the fun twisty stuff so tbh i'm erring towards the auto route to keep it fairly stock, but there is a a part of me nagging away to set it free from its auto chains... I have known the car since 99 and bought it and sold it and bought it and loaned it until it came back with a dodgy starter and got put in the garage, where its kind of become a extra shelf...

mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

jpr1977 wrote: I have known the car since 99 and bought it and sold it and bought it
Haha, I know the feeling. If you have a Golf then definitely keep it as an Auto - besides which, what would you be setting it free from? It's only a 90bhp engine.

jpr1977

Post by jpr1977 »

92bhp at least with its weber and pankake filter :-o

According to hanbook its a mighty 12.4 secs to 62....

the edmundator
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by the edmundator »

Once you've slammed it on air-ride and some stretched tyres on megabling rims, you won't want to go above 30mph anyway.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
bluestreak56
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by bluestreak56 »

keep the auto, theyre rarer..

jpr1977

Post by jpr1977 »

the edmundator wrote:Once you've slammed it on air-ride and some stretched tyres on megabling rims, you won't want to go above 30mph anyway.
Don't think i'm down with the kids enough to getaway with that...

As for rims, the only thing i'm after is one plastic trim ring thats missing of the stock wheels... :-D

mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

Bling it up - you know you want to...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Chrome-Beau ... xy2CZTaPXM

jpr1977

Post by jpr1977 »

Let me think about that... Chrome trim rings on a car with no chrome....

I think we should best leave chrome rings where they belong, the 70's. :-D
Last edited by jpr1977 on Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

I've had a few manuals and my current auto doesn't feel any slower, Obviously it will be marginally slower, but certainly not noticeable. Switching over would be a right pain as you'd need the box, new driveshafts, shifter, linkage, mounts, small bit of re-wiring (P/N switch on ignition and reverse lights), Clutch, flywheel (Autos have a flexplate), brake/ clutch pedal assembly, clutch cable, if it's a carb car you would need a new linkage set up also (Hard if you're still on a pierburg), new throttle cable, mounting bracket.

All in all I'd say it's not worth it as it would be cheaper and easier to buy a manual car. If you're going to do an engine conversion in the future, that would be the time to do it as alot of that stuff would be changing anyhow.

- David