4WD rocco ideas

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
steve bain

4WD rocco ideas

Post by steve bain »

Why hasn't this been done? or has it? in my mind it seems pretty straight forward to buy a cheap audi a3 1.8T quattro and transplant it into a rocco. 1.8T engine swaps are now common place, how come people aren't adding the 4WD too. is there a reason? looks straight forward enough...

http://www.qpeng.com/gallery/?g2_itemId=202&g2_page=4

My build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14083
DT1
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: 4WD rocco ideas

Post by DT1 »

Check over on VW Vortex, there are some threads on 4WD conversions, I think you will be surprised as to how much extra work is involved.

essextom

Post by essextom »

I looked into it, there is a fair amount of fabrication required. new tunnel and pretty much a new rear floor. Then you've gotta find space for a new fuel tank.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

You can how much stuff is needed to drive the rear wheels here, about 1/2 way down on this Mk2 Golf Rallye build.

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.ph ... &start=160

As with all this stuff anything possible if you have the time and money... :-)

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
james butler

Post by james butler »

Why 4wd?
I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze as I've seen it done but it's a lot of work and it literally is cheaper just to go buy a 4wd car
The thought of transferring Rocco body onto TT chassis has crossed my mind but I wouldn't ever trust it if I built it.
Didn't someone years ago make a RWD Rocco using a 320 compact chassis?

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
BlackGTX
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by BlackGTX »

rwd and 200bhp would do the car justice

scrappy1382

Post by scrappy1382 »

BlackGTX wrote:rwd and 200bhp would do the car justice
me and my mate were considering this quite a few yrs ago. front engined rwd 400bhp turbo. must admit, they do look like they should of been built a rwd. 8-)

Scirocco Shane
84 cosmos blue storm - mafia car choice 2015 rip :-(
84 Havanna Brown Storm - 8-)
Blueshark

Post by Blueshark »

Some one I know in Germany has built a 4WD VR6 in a MK2

Will see if I can find some info.

Joost

BlackGTX

Post by BlackGTX »

there is a thread on here where somone begins the work for rwd but it stops suddenly

bengould

Post by bengould »

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=240

Slow progress and no updates for a while. But this is a bit of a rwd beast. Not exactly your average rwd conversion and probably not street/track friendly but one hell of a car either way.

Ben.

ThomasD

Post by ThomasD »

VW built a couple. It's just that they put two motors in them. Sort of like .. cheating.

Actually if you're talking about a 4WD or RWD Scirocco, is it really still a Scirocco? Seems like maybe not. Not that I have anything against conversions - the workmanship I've seen on some is truly staggering. But at some point, it's no longer a Scirocco, but a vehicle that looks something like a Scirocco...

Sort of an interesting question actually - what makes a Scirocco a Scirocco and when is it no longer a Scirocco? What if I just improve the acceleration, handling or braking a bit? What if I put in an engine with an entirely different set of characteristics (VR6 for example)? What if the car drives nothing like the original (even if its better in every way)?

Sorry.. just pondering things on a winter's evening... and don't misunderstand - if anyone does a 4WD Scirocco, I will absolutely love to see it!

Mk2 Scirocco Storm
Mk3 Golf GTI VR6
BlackGTX

Post by BlackGTX »

drive chain doesnt maake a car. mk2 golf had a 4x4 aswell as ff and their both still mo2 golfs

the shell is what dictates the millage of a car regardless of engine swap so a 150k car with a 20k engine is still a 150k car and would be insured and valued that way

guess its more complicated when its specific characteristics that make a car that get changed, bit like porche purists who hate modern porches

james butler

Post by james butler »

i think what thomasd is trying to say is if your cutting out the entire floor and bulkhead and litterally bolting a rocco shell onto a DIY chassis pan then its not a rocco anymore, for certain its never going to handle the same way as youre going to do away with the rear beam to make 4wd possible.
the mk2 golf did have 4x4 but its technologically ahead of the scirocco anyway hence why nothing really fits from a mk2 golf on the rocco and if you look closer to how it was manufactured and put together its definately not going to handle like the mk1 chassis models did or mk2 for that matter because of all these radical changes

not saying its a bad idea to make one and im far from purist but in principle i agree with thomasd

james butler

Post by james butler »

theres the guy on youtube with "durocco"
2x 16v engines one front and one back

BlackGTX

Post by BlackGTX »

that brings to mind the black cab on a evo7 frame or there was a imprezza on a 306 or a mazda 323 something like that

any major work like that would require a cert for the road. in the uk atleast, so is it the registered chassis that makes the car?