Servicing/parts mk2 scirocco

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
N70WNE
fill in the right answer: 15

Servicing/parts mk2 scirocco

Post by N70WNE »

Good evening chaps
When it comes to buying all your servicing parts will the local vw dealer stock things like oil/fuel/air filters brake discs

I have seen Euro car parts stock things Have you brought from them?

I also thought using genuine parts for oil filters to be better

Where can I get part numbers from?

Thanks in advance

Nathan

james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Servicing/parts mk2 scirocco

Post by james butler »

i use euro car parts for a lot of stuff but make sure you insist on getting branded parts.
i tend to use pagid for braking items like disks and pads, maybe ferrodo at a push.
i always use mann or bosch oil filters which is what is used by the dealer.
i have a k&n air filter in the standard air box so i never have to change it again only clean it out at the regular interval.
fuel filters i get from halfords because i can get them for less than a pound again change them regularly.
you can get a lot of stuff from the main dealers and prices seem to be ok but how helpful each vw garage is different across the country.
some are glad to help and others are blooming useless
next issue you might have is oil.
i use 15/40 semi synthetic oil which is the oil ive always used in vws of this period others may say different but thats what i have been using.
stay away from castrol as lately they've been changing their ingredients and its causing some interesting problems.
in my engine it seems to cause mayonnaise colored sludge but any other oil it seems to be fine.
oh and one last thing make sure you get lots of sump washers! dont be tight and reuse the old one as it will eventually leak and its a pet hate of mine

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
james butler

Post by james butler »

i think 10/40 synta silver oil was the favourite for a long time and was readilly available from the dealer but all the dealers ive recently been to have stopped selling it.

N70WNE
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by N70WNE »

Thanks for the useful information James

Interesting what you was saying about the castrol as I was going to pay extra for it

Just need to buy a Haynes manual as I'm not machical minded to do the work without guidance

james butler

Post by james butler »

to be fair the servicing is pretty straight forward and haynes manuals do give a good guide but if you need info just ask and one of us will be more than happy to guide you through it.

MK21800

Post by MK21800 »

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

I use either euro car parts, always buy online either click and collect or home delivery as its cheaper that way as they have discount offers on most of the time 20% to 30% happens a lot and you don't get the discount just turning up at the shop.
Sister company also has good prices.
http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/

Avs have genuine VW oil filter and synta oil at a good price
http://www.vwspares.co.uk/

GSF is also a place I use and again they have discount offers on line.
https://www.gsfcarparts.com/

VW heritage for genuine parts but delivery charge if below £35.

They all appear on eBay as well and sometimes there stuff is cheaper.

If you become a member you can get discount at some of theses places.

I use genuine VW or Mann oil filters only, 10w 40 semi synthetic oil, I have a K&N air filter as its a right pain getting to the air box on an injection car so I don't have to replace it every year.

Bosch for plugs, HT leads, dissy cap and rotor arms but I will use Breu if I can find Bosch.

What is it you are looking for as we may be able to help/recommend places and parts. What car do you have carb or injection?

eBay for a Haynes manual.
Red one is the one you want for a mk2
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLKSWAGEN-SC ... SwNRdX5WxM

Website for VW part numbers but servicing parts may not be helpful, ask us and we should be able to help.
http://etka.cc/

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323