So I was driving along....

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
Chris_vw_1987
fill in the right answer: 10

So I was driving along....

Post by Chris_vw_1987 »

Alright guys,

Just wondering if anyone has an idea how this has happened..

[Back Story]
I've just had a clutch fitted - out on the test drive.... all is well, turn a corner (slowly) applied appropriate throttle (mild boot 40mph zone)... then the car started juddering and trying to stall every time I engaged the clutch.

I pull over ( engine is still running ) ... go to lift the clutch and it wants to stall... I keep trying to move off without stalling the engine maybe 6 times.

I then give it the beans and slip the clutch slightly until it starts moving, again all is well... I get it back home fine no struggling... lift the bonnet and notice this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW54TOhXCog

Any ideas? :-o

james butler

Re: So I was driving along....

Post by james butler »

Yeah I've seen this quite a few times
You need a new rubber flange.
Not to open a can of worms but it's a real weak point and known to go regularly.
I made a all alloy version to get around the issue but others have got along fine with the rubber versions.
Shouldn't take you long to change it if you have a spanner set and Allen keys.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
Chris_vw_1987

Post by Chris_vw_1987 »

Ah right, great!

Do you know what would of caused this? is the engine symptoms I experienced related to this? :)

The one I need? https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/mk2-gol ... tartRow=14
Last edited by Chris_vw_1987 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bengould

Post by bengould »

This is also why the standard airbox has a little metal support bracket that connects it to the rocker cover.

When you buy a new one, buy several, you will probably need them using that air filter instead of the standard box.

Ben.