technical advice on the ignition leads/spark plugs

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section

Moderator: Scirocco Register

greenrocco92
fill in the right answer: 15

technical advice on the ignition leads/spark plugs

Post by greenrocco92 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:34 am

Hi this is my first post, glad to be here. I'm really just looking for some technical advice on the ignition leads/spark plugs. I've owned my scorocco for a bit over a year now, just passed its MOT and about a week later started like a juddering slightly on acceleration like its not firing right maybe. Had a look at all the points on the distributor cap and rotary arm, gave them a clean and went on to check the ignition leads, when taking them off they just broke and left the clip on the spark plug, the leads were pretty rusty so figured I'd better change them anyway, so ordered some up but they didn't fit on the spark plugs, the end clip of the ignition leads at the spark plug end are smaller. I've got ngk spark plugs, they have a removable terminal nut so it just leaves a threaded terminal to connect the ignition leads, they seem to fit on thoses ok and the engine is firing up and running ok on all cylinders, Is it ok to connect them to the threaded terminal part or is it necessary to have the terminal nut on the spark plug?

The car in question is a scirocco mk2 1.8 carb 1992.

Hope that make sense.

Many thanks.

bengould
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: technical advice on the ignition leads/spark plugs

Post by bengould » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:31 am

Yes that is fine. That is why the threaded cap is there, so the plugs are compatible with either type of leads.

Welcome to the forum. As we are all a bit nosey gonna have to request some pics of the car. ;-).

Ben

greenrocco92

Post by greenrocco92 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:24 pm

Figured as much but thought it best to be on the safe side and ask. Thanks for getting back to me and the welcome :)
Attached a picture too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:46 pm

Welcome along, very strange having those type of HT leads fitted to your car as it's normally older cars which still need to cap fitted to the spark plugs, what type of dissy cap do you have?
Usually early cars have this type of cap.

And later cars have the sawn tooth cap like this.

Dissy cap end of the HT lead for later cars.

Yours being an 1992 should use the later type, and like you now have done spark plugs with out the cap screwed on.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323

greenrocco92

Post by greenrocco92 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:42 pm

It has the second kind of the distributor caps you posted.
The new leads do have the ends you've shown in the picture.
The old leads that had been on have a different connection that must be for the earlier type so it probably hadn't been making a good connection at the distributor end.

Village Idiots

Post by Village Idiots » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:35 am

Welcome onto here.
Nice clean looking car>
Is that a bike trailer in the background? You got bikes?