New member with an '88 Scirocco GT

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: New member with an '88 Scirocco GT

Post by james butler »

hi elliot, welcome to the register.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
Elliot-L
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Elliot-L »

james butler wrote:hi elliot, welcome to the register.
Cheers James!

'88 VW Scirocco GT
'07 VW Phaeton 3.0 TDI
Elliot-L

Post by Elliot-L »

Picked the car up in this beautiful weather this afternoon, certainly like nothing else I've ever driven until now, great bit of fun though. Grabbed a couple of pictures but it's saying they are too large to post.

Also the wheels are apparently RW Kiwi Rush's, can't find a great deal out about them though.

'88 VW Scirocco GT
'07 VW Phaeton 3.0 TDI
james butler

Post by james butler »

best bet is to open a photo bucket account and ling the photos over.
its a doddle to do and possibly the easiest way to upload the pictures

Elliot-L

Post by Elliot-L »

james butler wrote:best bet is to open a photo bucket account and ling the photos over.
its a doddle to do and possibly the easiest way to upload the pictures
Think I may already have one, it's a job for tomorrow now though haha.

'88 VW Scirocco GT
'07 VW Phaeton 3.0 TDI
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Just copy and paste the IMG code from photobucket into your post and we will see the picture. :-)

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Elliot-L

Post by Elliot-L »

Just a couple I grabbed last night, will get better ones once the weather improves.

'88 VW Scirocco GT
'07 VW Phaeton 3.0 TDI
Elliot-L

Post by Elliot-L »

Haven't updated this thread since I brought the car, just been lurking on the forum so thought it was about due!

Since having the car I've mainly just been enjoying it so far but been doing a few bits and pieces as preventative maintenance and trying to sort a rough idle I had.

Cleaned up the dizzy, fitted new Magnecor leads and plugs but she still wasn't idling right. Replaced all the little air hoses in the engine bay to no avail. After a phone call from James Butler one night found quite a large hole worn in the bottom of the hose going to the brake servo, one new hose later and she's spot on!

Fitted a new radiator and coolant (had the wrong colour in originally) as the original rad had developed a leak in the corner. New cambelt on it and just in time! Last one was horribly cracked and perished. Rear brakes were refurbed as they were doing nothing when I took it for MOT, the car now has the best handbrake i've ever used! Still have a set of snowflakes sat in the garage waiting to be refurbed and fit come spring. Fitted the OMP front lower strut brace a couple of weeks ago which made a noticeable difference.

Next weekend I've a pile of parts to fit. When it was up on the lift for MOT the tester noticed one of the brake lines was just starting to bulge ever so slightly, so braided hoses ready to fit next weekend along with renewing the fluid. I've had a squeal from the front end ever since I've brought it so at the same time will be fitting new discs, pads and splash guards which should hopefully cure it. There's a headlight loom from Heritage needing to be fitted too, along with some new speakers so I shall do that next weekend too. Dare say I'll do the oil and filter whilst I've got the car up in the air too. Whilst it was up on the lift for MOT we had a good poke around, and much to my relief, couldn't find a spot of rust on the chassis or body. Now it's a case of cleaning all the road grime off the bottom and getting a coat of Waxoyl on, although I'm not overly looking forwards to that!

'88 VW Scirocco GT
'07 VW Phaeton 3.0 TDI
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

You have been busy, with the front brake splash guard they are a pig to get off as you have to knock out flange which may wreck your front wheel bearing and then undoing the bolts is a pain as they usually rust away.
I had to change my wheel bearing the other month and my bolt heads where very rusty and sized so I left them well alone.

The squealing brakes is lack of copper grease on the brake shoes, nothing to do with the splash shields, there is a few cars on here not running any guards and no difference is the car.

Pictures, I've painted mine to help them last a little longer.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Elliot-L

Post by Elliot-L »

mark1gls wrote:You have been busy, with the front brake splash guard they are a pig to get off as you have to knock out flange which may wreck your front wheel bearing and then undoing the bolts is a pain as they usually rust away.
I had to change my wheel bearing the other month and my bolt heads where very rusty and sized so I left them well alone.

The squealing brakes is lack of copper grease on the brake shoes, nothing to do with the splash shields, there is a few cars on here not running any guards and no difference is the car.

Pictures, I've painted mine to help them last a little longer.

Well there is something to look forwards to then. Bit of Oxy-Acetellence will soon free them! :-D

The only reason I'm changing the guards is due to the fact it seems to squeal on the front discs certain lock, it makes me question wether something is rubbing on this disc. Perhaps they just haven't been bedded in properly...

'88 VW Scirocco GT
'07 VW Phaeton 3.0 TDI
james butler

Post by james butler »

if you want to change the wheel bearings while your there bring the hubs down and i can press some new ones in.

Elliot-L

Post by Elliot-L »

james butler wrote:if you want to change the wheel bearings while your there bring the hubs down and i can press some new ones in.
Cheers mate, will bear it in mind!

'88 VW Scirocco GT
'07 VW Phaeton 3.0 TDI
iPedro

Post by iPedro »

what a lovely colour

mine's an 89 GT in Helios

Had it 20 years this October

:-)

iPedro

Post by iPedro »

Yes handbrake action is a thing of beauty.

Waxoyling tips:

When (too) thick clumps of crack up and peel - just like they say it never does :-) - just brush on engine oil. Swiftly sorts everything out for another 5 years!

Also, big tip here - no one has mentioned this before to my knowledge:

For areas of no impact such as inside headlamp hollows and the UNDERSIDE of the top front panel tray, where the bonnet clamps down - use motorcycle chain lube. I have always had motorcycles from a very young age. Sticky lube for road bikes that 'never flies off' such as Silkolene Pro-Chain is absolutely class treatment. As it's an aerosol you can get anywhere with it. Chain lube is designed to seep between rubber sealed-rollers of a motorcycle chain, so it really can get ANYWHERE!

A good squirt in hard to access areas is ideal for treating as a wax - e.g. underneath the riveted frame number tags and center bonnet catch plate. It is extremely penetrable and dries to a very sticky wax that will NEVER dry out. But obviously don't use it on dirty or impact areas due to this consistency. It briefly works - before it dries - as a cleaner, too, to blast away any dirt, leaving a completely treated surface that will never ever rust.

Just one of my findings on the way...

:-)

iPedro

Post by iPedro »

So, I have just used my Silkolene Pro-Chain for treating the TOPSIDE of the petrol tank. My 28 year old car is so nice underneath, you can eat your dinner off it. It's practically day-one factory condition underneath. No need to dirty any of the wheel arches with Waxoyl as the original factory wax is still all in place and absolutely zero signs of rust anywhere, even on the very tips of the edges. Still loving the 80s Karmann Osnabrück attention to build quality.

Apologies for rapid and multiple posting, that's it now :-)