Mk2 steering issue

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
DJCarlos
fill in the right answer: 10

Mk2 steering issue

Post by DJCarlos »

I'll admit I'm nowhere near a mechanic, so bear with me...

The wife has just come home from work and said the steering has "gone" in the 'Rocco.

Apparently it turns fine in one direction to the left, but when she tries to go right the steering wheel turns way too far before the car actually responds.

She got home OK so it's just about driveable.

Any ideas what might cause that?

scrappy1382
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Mk2 steering issue

Post by scrappy1382 »

have a look at the uj inside the big black gaitor next to where the downpipe goes, see if there are any splits inspect if you can any rust etc on the uj itself. without the car moving turn the steering from left to right listening for knocks or feeling any play through rack into the steering wheel. worst case your rack itself is knackered. take the car for a drive yourself, empty carpark area and hardish steering left to right. take a couple of roundabouts or back lanes where you can keep up the speed with twisty roads.

Scirocco Shane
84 cosmos blue storm - mafia car choice 2015 rip :-(
84 Havanna Brown Storm - 8-)
connorj19
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by connorj19 »

Do what scrappy said above, also jack car up and check for play in track rod ends and inner joints,

I had a little play in mine and the car literally wandere all over the road, so new rack, joints & boots and its transformed the car.
Keep us informed

Village Idiots

Post by Village Idiots »

I think with anything suspect with steering (or brakes), I'd be very wary about taking it out on the road, especially quickish down twisty roads.
Have a good check on its working on your driveway and, if at all suspicious, get it on ramps and checked over.

DJCarlos

Post by DJCarlos »

Well.... I'm quite happy to fiddle with the electrics, bodywork, interior, cooling etc...

But anything that involves the car stopping or turning goes straight to the experts!

Luckily we've got a damn decent mechanic down the road (obviously he's called Dave), and he's having a look right now.

DJCarlos

Post by DJCarlos »

UPDATE...

The tracking was massively off, and Dave has tightened everything that can be tightened and lubed everything else and it appears to be fixed!

As you were, nothing to see here....