Steering Lock and Accessory position

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
p in phcas
fill in the right answer: 10

Steering Lock and Accessory position

Post by p in phcas »

I'm going to bring a couple of random threads together so bear with me.

It is a pain that there is no accessory position on the ignition. Off or engine running seem to be the only options, or so it seems. There is an accessory option but it's not wired so I did some web investigation and found the "SU" tag. Apparently the steering lock is the same as the Mk2 Golf and they do have an extra wire connected to a small tag on the back of the ignition switch, marked SU. It becomes live when the key is inserted. - Key in, accessories on, key out, accessories off.

This weekend I decided to investigate and, low and behold, there's the SU tag as promised but no wire. With a bit off faffing I managed to put in a small wire and connector but....... key in, accessories on, key out, accessories off (all good so far), key in, accessories on, key out slowly, accessories still on! (bad) - Key in, Key out, accessories off, tap the barrel of the lock - accessories on! It seems my barrel is worn and contact is being made where it shouldn't.

So, here's the thing. Should I replace the complete steering lock unit? I assume the parts are (exactly) the same from the Mk2 golf.

I want to keep the key the same so would I be transferring the problem from one to another by transferring the barrel or can I get a new lock with my key matched to it?

Should I even bother?

thoughts?
PM

Scala in black - mine... all mine... bwah ha ha ha ha 'cough' mwahha
Blueshark

Re: Steering Lock and Accessory position

Post by Blueshark »

Electric part and key barrel are two separate items, you can swap the electric part and keep the same key.

Joost

james butler

Post by james butler »

plus theres a how to in the haynes manual to remove the lock complete to go into another steering lock housing.
its just a case of knowing how pull it out, have a look in the manual.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
p in phcas

Post by p in phcas »

I am going to resurrect this post, especially as I started it!

I bought the ignition switch last year and this weekend decided to give a go at installing it. I have got as far as removing the steering wheel, switch gear and was left staring at the splines, spring and top column bearings. So far I can't get it off, even with a persuading hammer, to be able to remove the switch unit. I have ordered a bearing puller so should be able to have another go in a couple of days.

If anyone is interested in how I get on, interested in having their own accessories connection, and I can work out how to post pictures, let me know and I'll update this a bit more.

Blueshark

Post by Blueshark »

What do you need an accessory position for, you either drive or you do not drive ;-)

PeteGLi

Post by PeteGLi »

I take it that you have removed the black plastic cowling over the steering column. That would then reveal the bolt on the left hand side of the column which holds the steering lock and ignition switch housing in place.

p in phcas

Post by p in phcas »

Blueshark wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:50 pm What do you need an accessory position for, you either drive or you do not drive ;-)
Because I have a bluetooth parrot in there and I switch off the engine and it kills the connection - doh! Just call me fussy.

p in phcas

Post by p in phcas »

PeteGLi wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:51 am I take it that you have removed the black plastic cowling over the steering column. That would then reveal the bolt on the left hand side of the column which holds the steering lock and ignition switch housing in place.
Yep. I can't slide the assembly up because of the spline blocking the steering column bearing. Apparently it has to be lifted / drifted off.

p in phcas

Post by p in phcas »

I'll post more when I get the spline off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PeteGLi

Post by PeteGLi »

Take the top cowl off - makes things a lot easier.
Loosen the universal joint bolt at the bottom of the steering column.
Put the nut back on the top of the steering column to protect the threads.
Hit with a hammer to loosen the fit between the column and the ball-bearing bearing in the ignition switch/steering lock housing.
As the switch gear came off without removing the splines, you should be able to slide the ignition switch/steering lock housing over the splines.

p in phcas

Post by p in phcas »

I can't get the top cowl off.

PeteGLi

Post by PeteGLi »

There is a little tag on each side of the cowl that clips onto the housing. If you feel just behind the key and gently pull the side of the cowl out, and do the same on the opposite side, you should feel the cowl release up.

p in phcas

Post by p in phcas »

I finally got it off but I think I broke a tab, another bit of brittle plastic bites the dust. The bits to be replaced is ever increasing (and harder to get hold of)

p in phcas

Post by p in phcas »

UPDATE... I manage to get the spline off and remove the lock housing to get to the screw that hold the switch part in place. After replacing is seems the problem is still there and also manifests itself with the steering lock not being activated. I am now thinking that the lock mechanism is either faulty or... something dropped out of the mech when I took it apart.

Is there a small spring between the plastic switch unit and the lock mech that pushes out when the key is removed? Does anyone have any detailed photos of the assembly or a workshop manual that shows how the whole lock, switch and barrel goes together?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

p in phcas

Post by p in phcas »

I fixed it

Having taken the barrel out I found a pin connecting the barrel to the lock mechanism had fallen out.

I put the pin back in and now the steering lock and accessory position works.

If you’ve wondered what the inside lock unit looks like here’s a picture.
Adjustments.jpg

Sent from my iPhone