Scirocco performance

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
RichRadio

Scirocco performance

Post by RichRadio »

Hi all,

I'm new to this board and new to sciroccos. I have just bought a scala (picking it up tonight) and wanted to get some feedback on how these cars are meant to be driven....

Put simply, can the car (and was it really designed to) handle being driven at high revs....as a sports car is.....or, will over revving potentially damage the engine....

Might seem a bit of a strange question (apologies) but really just wanted to know what the general consesus is.

Kind Regards

Richard.

ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Scirocco performance

Post by ianaudia4 »

Welcome, you are gonna get so many replies to this question :!:

The Scirocco is a sports coupe, so yes it was designed to be driven fast. They came from the land with autobahns with no speed limits :!:
What sort of sports car are you comparing it with?

However you've got to remember that these cars are generally getting on a bit so obviously many bits that haven't been replaced are gonna be tired or worn.

I don't conset my Storm but I wouldn't take it down a drag strip, something may fall off!

Anyway wait to see other peoples replies.

Do you have any pictures of your car?

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
RichRadio

Post by RichRadio »

Thanks ianaudia4!!!

Check out these pictures.....lovely...........

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7 ... =797320117
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7 ... =797320117

cheers

RichRadio

bluestreak56
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by bluestreak56 »

Ah I thought you bought the sapphire met scala! I put it in the for sale section here.

Lovely car - glad its staying in the register! Are you planning to keep it standard (as much as possible)!

roccodave

Post by roccodave »

nice car looks a lot like mine only less rusty :hugegrin:
when im out having fun in mine i use around 6000 there isn't realy any need to go higher than that
over revving will kill any engine eventualy
im wondering if they have a rev limiter now i havent ever felt one (anyone else??)

RichRadio

Post by RichRadio »

hi,

Thanks....

Yes, keeping it as it is....I don't think it needs anything more. I just love the look of the old scirocco....who doesn't!!
I'm over the moon I got it....only 74000 miles on the clock....can't wait to get hold of it tonight!

regards

Richard

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

the injected 8v scalas and gtx's in particular are all about torque and low down grunt - some of which is very subjective when comparing to 16v cars which do infact have more low down grunt but don't feel like it for various reasons.
more than capable of sitting all day at the legal limit on a motorway run subject to how it''s been maintained and - sounds old -fashioned but don't rag it until it's warmed up - i try to keep below 2-2.5k revs until out of the lowest temp level on gauge.
old car = old car brake feel compared to over servoed/lardy moderns.

enjoy and welcome!

Serial Rocco-ist.........
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Having had a couple of 8v VWs, I find there is very little benefit revving the engine over 6k...
I remember my mates carb'd 1.8mk2, he used to wring its neck... it didnt have a rev limiter, so quite frequently you'd see it go to off the end of the rev range. It never seemed gained anymore power up there, but was quite fun. He'd hit 65mph in 2nd sometimes! The surprising thing about it tho, the engine never broke, for the 15k miles he owned it?! the gearbox needed changing tho about half way through!! :chortle:

I beleive, with some cars, you can get them to develop more power after a long period of abuse (months) and they can take it better than a car thats been driven around gently for its entire life. Its my theory anyway!! :hugegrin:

1991 Wide Arched Rieger Scirocco.....

Good things come to those who wait!!!!
ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ianaudia4 »

Thanks....

Yes, keeping it as it is....I don't think it needs anything more. I just love the look of the old scirocco....who doesn't!!
I'm over the moon I got it....only 74000 miles on the clock....can't wait to get hold of it tonight!

That is a nice car mate, and I second Rohan, about keeping on the register.

I have had a VW/Audi since 1984, never killed an engine or gearbox, even when I lived in Germany and frequently took part in the autobahn grand prix!

Don't skimp on the servicing, use decent oil and VW filters and you should get many years out of it, 74k, that isn't even run in yet :!:

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
dozzum

Post by dozzum »

mines on 115K and i know for a fact the last two owners used to rag it and it still sounds beutiful, Fingers crossed.
I however agree with the others 6000 is more than sufficient. I was surprised with the power of mine and its only a 1.6 carb.

MrD

Post by MrD »

Mine has done about 230 thou,use the rev limiter (the soft one) as a shift light :hugegrin: Figure i am going to be getting another block when this one pops,so just getting every last bit out of it.

6 point cage,Koni`s,lower front brace,rear brace,goodridge hoses,4,2,1,supersprint back box,k+n,kent gs2h,vernier,skimmed and ported head,alloy fuel tank.catch tank,Short shift ,9A soon.
mikes

Post by mikes »

I brought my 84 storm from a chap that had it from new, having done 185,000 miles I thought this won't last long!
that was 5 years ago now, he had every reciept and had spent in total £7,500 in 20 years of motoring on every service MOT included!
Currently on 220,000 miles, I have ragged the SH*T out of it every time I drive it, I take it auto testing and race meets with my local Motor club, I've never worried about ragging it but apart from when racing it I stick below 5000 rpm
Still drive it to work and it easily gives 40 mpg going to work a round trip of 70 miles, it is with out doubt the most fuel efficient car for the fun factor, forget useless deisels.
in five years all I've replaced is the breaks, and the shocks, and the exhaust. and 1 ball joint. MOT's straight through.
Why would anyone buy a new car they are cr*p. I still haven't spent a grand on it!
So I say to anyone buy one you will never regret it and rag it, have fun, engines for these cars are 2 a penny.

'84 storm, + 4 other sciroccos!