Ugly yellow 'go faster' stripe

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
Niall
fill in the right answer: 10

Ugly yellow 'go faster' stripe

Post by Niall »

Tommorow I'm planning on taking that ugly yellow 'go faster' stripe off along with the rubber trim that comes with it.
I'm asuming that it will be quite heavily glued, I'm not at risk of taking any paint off am I.
I'm not even sure if the gt2 came with it.
Seeing as nobody else on here has a stripe. It must be a fairly trivial task to remove it.

Any good cleaning products to take any sticky residue off. Or will I need to get the jet washer out?

Wheels are disgusting. I'm working on it

Note the cable tied bumper

Mr Funk

Re: Ugly yellow 'go faster' stripe

Post by Mr Funk »

Looks like vinyl so shouldn't be too hard. Hair dryer/heat gun it up and try to carefully peel it off though. Be careful though as it'll heat up the side strips as well.

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
MrP

Post by MrP »

As above, the slower and more carefully you remove it the easier it'll be as the stripe should peel away in big sections if your careful..

Be prepared for the paint under the stripe to be brighter than the rest of the car, A good T-cut, wax and polish should help with that.

Niall

Post by Niall »

Stripe came off no problem, just lifted the end of it from inside the door and it came off in my hands. Paint was a little lighter underneath, but its getting waxed etc. today.

I've peeled the trim piece back slightly and I could see bits off rust / peeling paint. So i'll probably pour some WD40 down there in a bit

I think it looks a bit better now though

rocco1504

Post by rocco1504 »

Hi
Not sure wether you've done it yet, But as regards the Rubber Strip/ Trim, having done this on a Scala before,

Take one reasonably hot day, one Good powerful hairdrier, ( Not Heat gun, for obvious reasons ) some T Cut, one softish plastic scraper, and a very large dash of Elbow Grease.
Basically, take the hairdryer and heat up the end of the strip, and when you think it's hot enough start Gently using the scraper to lift it away from the paint, when you get enough away from the paint, direct the heat at the point where it's still stuck to the body, and as the glue warms up it should start to peel away ( with gentle pulling ) from the paint, go round the car doing this until it's all off, then get stuck in with the T Cut.
There will still be a fair amount of glue on the body, so be careful not to go too mad with the T cut, I personally used just polish, but then mine was a white car, it'll probably be a little different on a Black one.
You could try a little Petrol/ Lighter fluid on a clean rag to dissolve the remaining glue, but I cannot gaurantee it would work.

Anyway, that's what I did with mine and it came up trumps, but Do remember, once those strips are off, you'll be watching every Wazzock and his dog to see if they are hitting your doors as they get out of their Chelsea Tractors.

Best of Luck
Paul

'88 Jade Green GTX, Now for Sale
'84 VW T25 Transporter Converting to Camper
GT Matt
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by GT Matt »

Hi

I see the can of WD40 in the picture. That can be used for removing glue and it doesn't damage paint.
Another good product for removing glue off panels is a dedicated glue/tar remover or I find Auto Glym Insect remover verry efficient at this task.

GT Matt
1988 Mk2 GTX
silver_rocco

Post by silver_rocco »

I used a heat gun prob 1 hour per strip, no problems, dont know if a hairdryer will get hot enough to remove the band
of glue tape that will be left.
I picked mine off with my fingers & small nozzle attached to heat gun.
then surface cleaner spray or carb cleaner, then t -cut to do the whole panel