Mk2 scirocco 1990 1.8 8v

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
MattR2020
fill in the right answer: 15

Mk2 scirocco 1990 1.8 8v

Post by MattR2020 »

Got my scirroco mk2 1990 1.8 8v all sorted for driving. Had all brakes, full exhaust, fuel lines, brake lines, almost everything done. Rocker gasket, carb flange etc. One small issue currently, car will drive but needs a lot of booting on the gas pedal. Drives around well but stalls if making slow manoovers. Also car engine turns over but can not idle as engine cuts out. I'm thinking carb may need fine tuning, cleaning etc or ignition leads and dist'cap might need changing.
ANY IDEAS WELCOME

C 20 CCO

Re: Mk2 scirocco 1990 1.8 8v

Post by C 20 CCO »

Hi,

Was the car running ok before changing bits and pieces?

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......
You must first be young and stupid!

Previously owned: 1984 1.6 CL in alpine white; 1986 1.6 GT in met light blue over black body kit; 1990 1.8 GT2 in silver.
Currently: 1991 GT2 in Pearl green metallic.
kidcrewbob

Post by kidcrewbob »

If it's a Weber then follow the guidance on this link to a PDF

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y204um0tq2edc ... 5.pdf?dl=0

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

If it has the Pierburg, service manual is here:

http://vwa1.dadoghouse.com/wp-content/u ... uction.pdf

Settings table for the Scirocco can be found here:

https://www.ruddies-berlin.de/Vergaser2E2.htm

It's not an easy carb to get your head around and I suspect as a result many have been incorrectly tampered with in the past, so a step by step approach to checking the settings using the manual is essential.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
whiteshark
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by whiteshark »

1. Open your bonnet during night time when its dark. Start the car. Move your throttle and check your ignition leads to see if they are arcing in the dark.

2.Two common problems on a carb model are the fuel diffuser and the fuel pump. Were these replaced during the rebuild. Check the plastic gasket behind the fuel pump for any leaks. There not big money to replace.

3. As you have replaced the fuel lines, were these the correct thickness.

4. Does sound like a carb problem. If you have a Pierburg, get someone who knows them to tune it for you. From experience, someone old school or go Webber. Good luck.

Eagle1

Post by Eagle1 »

I've recently purchased a car (Mk1 1.6 Cabriolet) and had to boot it as well. Apart from the carb base gasket leaking I also found the fuel filter the wrong way round. Its sat there waiting for remedial work now.

MattR2020

Post by MattR2020 »

Thanks for all the help, manual for PE2 is good to have GT_II, cheers. I will also check the ignition leads for sparks etc WHITESHARK , had a 15 min drive to MOT centre in it today and ran quite well. Just the garage now saying they can't get it to turn over and stay in idle while doing MOT. I was also thinking fuel pump would be good to change anyway so thanks for the heads up on that one also. Yeah car seemed to be running okay when I first purchasd it and before I started tampering with bits and pieces. I only did drive it once or twice than sat it in garage. Never did mess with the carb in any way, apparently the car was sat in a garage for 10 years so had seen minimal driving. Plus when I got it I kept in garage just a little over one year before getting to this stage of driving it again.

Does anyone know anything about 1 way no return fuel valves and if it would be a good idea to install one as they are only cheap I think?

Fuel lines should be correct size, 6mm if I'm not mistaken.

Eagle1

Post by Eagle1 »

Have you removed the fuel tank sender and checked that the pipework/filter is all clear from debris. Have the rubber pipes from the sender to rigid lines been replaced and also in the engine bay. If you do change the fuel vapour separator you may get away with the Mk2 Golf version as the rubber mount for the air filter should be higher as the Weber carb should come with two studs mounted on the rocker cover to make the bracket higher.
You may also find that your old fuel has gummed up over time possibly causing a partial blockage so this may need addressing. Maybe ask the garage to blow through from the engine end to make sure they're clear. Check the flow from tank through the filter before and after.

C 20 CCO

Post by C 20 CCO »

I had similar problems which got steadily worse. Turned out that after chasing my tail, it was a small air leak in the inlet manifold gasket. Couldn’t see it, but with the low suction needed to drag the fuel from the tank, it was enough to stop the flow. Hopefully your fault will be an easy fix.

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......

Previously owned: 1984 1.6 CL in alpine white; 1986 1.6 GT in met light blue over black body kit; 1990 1.8 GT2 in silver.
MattR2020

Post by MattR2020 »

Well I've been told the 2e2 pirerberg is on its way out and looking a full rebuild which I had someone price and is over 450£. I've decided to go ahead and order a weber carb and k&N air filer... GONNA loose all the incoming vw boxed air feed, make it look nice an neat, brand new carb and start from here. Now car is idle'ing okay anyway so I figure this carb should do the trick. Does anyone know much about a genuine weber carb install, I'm not up to stratch on installing a carb as I'm a little new to mechanics and little worried about the manual choke install to my dash. Don't wana mess things up. Ordering my weber and air filter from vw heritage Parts, does say the webers are pre manufactured to fit over the original manifold so I'm hoping this is the case with minimal adjustments required. Also it says no tuning required as they are set for the engine as outlined, this being a 1.8 8v. Has anyone done the same job successfully.?

whiteshark
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by whiteshark »

PM'd

C 20 CCO

Post by C 20 CCO »

Hi,

You say “ Now car is idle'ing okay anyway“ so I take it the pierburg is now working???
Have you split the carb and checked the jets? If the car has been sat there that long, chances are the jets could be slightly gummed up. Did you flood the carb with carb cleaner? A few people throw pierburgs away for no good reason based on someone else’s assumptions.

Just trying to save you money.

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......

RussGLAuto

Post by RussGLAuto »

MattR2020 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:23 pm Well I've been told the 2e2 pirerberg is on its way out and looking a full rebuild which I had someone price and is over 450£. I've decided to go ahead and order a weber carb and k&N air filer... GONNA loose all the incoming vw boxed air feed, make it look nice an neat, brand new carb and start from here. Now car is idle'ing okay anyway so I figure this carb should do the trick. Does anyone know much about a genuine weber carb install, I'm not up to stratch on installing a carb as I'm a little new to mechanics and little worried about the manual choke install to my dash. Don't wana mess things up. Ordering my weber and air filter from vw heritage Parts, does say the webers are pre manufactured to fit over the original manifold so I'm hoping this is the case with minimal adjustments required. Also it says no tuning required as they are set for the engine as outlined, this being a 1.8 8v. Has anyone done the same job successfully.?
If it's not too late, visit Bromyard VW. I have the Webber conversion by a previous owner and, well, not the best... Pierburg refurb is expensive at c £500, but worth it. My Mk2 had a Webber fitted in 2018 in similar circumstances as yours. Still rough as old boots. Had it 'professionally' tuned for £275 and still a pig to start sometimes.

My opinion - take a moment, and do some more research... mine is booked in with the above gent next month. Sometimes cheeper is not always the best.

https://sites.google.com/site/pierburgc ... rburettors

Russ

Daily Driver - 2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Twin Engine - Polestar - Arctic White
Weekend Wagon - 51k 1982 Mk2 Scirocco 1.6 GL Auto - Diamond Silver
Other Half's Wagon - 2018 Mk7.5 Golf GT TSi Auto - White
Daughters Curb Scraper - 2016 Fiat 500 1.2 - White
MattR2020

Post by MattR2020 »

Thanks for the advice, I'll take it all into consideration...