Shell up build

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
kaiks
fill in the right answer: 15

Shell up build

Post by kaiks »

Aloha, so here’s the deal...I have a 1987 scirocco mk2 16v. I have removed the interior,seats parcel shelves etc. I tasked my nephew with removing the dash and components and basically he tore the whole dash wiring etc out. I honestly don’t know what’s there and what’s not. I love the cars look and feel...I loved driving it before I started breaking it down. I want to keep the aesthetic and the feel of it but want modern performance. My question is when I finish the dismantle and body work and start from scratch is it possible to take a ea888 b series and matching trans and wiring needed to get it to daily drive status if needed. Planning on modern suspension electric steering, wave trac lds as well...anyone tackled a project of this sort? Ps I live in Hawaii...vw isn’t the massive car maker it is like in Europe...and honestly I’m not doing a full historic resto but am going from shell up to build something with the aesthetics and feel of an eighties vw with all the modern performance I can get. Any help would be appreciated. This may be something that has been beaten to death and I’m sorry for that. Mahalo for any help.

Kaiks

essextom
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Shell up build

Post by essextom »

so 2.0 tsi engine conversion. that would be pretty quick. personally id keep it non power steering to keep the driving feeling. suspension wise i'd just get a decent coilover kit from kw,st etc.. and brake wise id fit a willwood brake kit all the way around, speak to tech53 they sell rocco kits. i prefer the car with original dashboard and interior, think modern dash's look strange in an 80's box, but thats just my opinion. there will be loads of info on tsi conversions on the mk1 golf/rabbit forums as its been done a few times.

kaiks

Post by kaiks »

Thanks for the help brother, I love the dash too and will probably pick another up the rest of the interior has been saved as well. Next up will be the body, it has to be rock solid as over here there’s so much salt and moisture in the air this close to the beach. Mahalo for the recommendations on the other systems in the car I’ll check them out for sure.

essextom

Post by essextom »

not a problem mate. have i sold u some rocco parts? sure i sent some to Hawaii a year or so back.

kaiks

Post by kaiks »

Yup they eyebrow spoiler is prepped and waiting for paint and the sway bar went in and got taken out during tear down...thinking about picking up those widebody fenders you have and some under the hood things. Top notch stuff brother.

essextom

Post by essextom »

kaiks wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:52 am Yup they eyebrow spoiler is prepped and waiting for paint and the sway bar went in and got taken out during tear down...thinking about picking up those widebody fenders you have and some under the hood things. Top notch stuff brother.
cheers mate, i thought there couldn't be too many Rocco's out there.