Sluggish autobox

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section

Moderator: Scirocco Register

Connormk2GT
fill in the right answer: 15

Sluggish autobox

Postby Connormk2GT » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:10 pm

Hi I have a 1987 1.6 GT AUTO which has been sitting on and off for the last few years. Once repaired in a few weeks (bodywork) I want to sort the engine out and respect the parts to get it looking nice. One thing I need advice on is that when driving the car the autobox is quite sluggish and lumpy and some of the gear changes are not so smooth. Also, where it has been sitting the steering has gone extra stiff! Is this something that will lossen up with use or can this be improved by doing something?
Thanks in advance
Does anyone also know any good sites to get parts like bolts. Gaskets. Seals. Valve guides? Also where to get part numbers of engine parts?
Thanks

unknownmale

Re: Sluggish autobox

Postby unknownmale » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:42 pm

Check the ATF level in the gearbox with the engine running in park (Green handle) Jerky shifts usually indicates low fluid levels. The colour of the fluid should be cherry red, if it's brown this indicates old oil/ burnt friction material from the clutch packs. You can get a filter and gasket from vw heritage for the auto box. You have to remove the pan off the box as there is no drain plug.
Don't flush the fluid, just drain and refill with new fluid.

Pretty much everything for these engines is easy to find online, I wouldn't recommend one particular supplier of any one thing, best to research yourself in my opinion. If you're looking to buy valve guides then you'll be removing the head and having it machined at a shop, get them to source bearings, rings, guides etc.

I bought guides from GSF I believe and had them pressed in when i decked the head, the ID is usually undersized for the valve stems so they have to be reamed anyhow, much better the machine shop does this that DIY.

But yeah, you can buy pretty much everything on the typical sites, depends how much you want to spend really. But if it's just looks then degrease it and paint it. No point rebuilding a working engine.

- David

mr.brown

Postby mr.brown » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:39 pm

Stiff steering usually = low tyre pressures.

Eagle1

Postby Eagle1 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:33 am

If you do get the head done it's worth asking the engine shop to remove the exhaust manifold studs. I replaced mine and even the engine shop said they were a .... pain to remove.

Return to “Mk2 Scirocco”