Is this standard? Brakes

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
hodg87
fill in the right answer: 15

Is this standard? Brakes

Post by hodg87 »

I have had trouble with my rocco's brakes for some time, I have replaced discs, pads, shoes, cylinders and thoroughly bled. My suspicions lead me to think the master cylinder needs replacing so I have just bought one to fit. When inspecting the master cylinder currently fitted I noticed each of the brake pipes coming from the bottom of the m/c have the following brake pressure regulators fitted, I would like to know a) whether these are standard and b) if not, why someone has fitted these and could this be the reason the application of brakes is poor i.e. my foot is at the floor before the brakes slightly engage!

Thanks

essextom
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Is this standard? Brakes

Post by essextom »

These are used to reduce the pressure to the rear brakes, they are standard and you do need them. If not ya rear brakes will lock up all the time.

james butler

Post by james butler »

these also seem to determine the size slave cylinders you need too.
if you don't have the regulators you use 14mm slaves
if you do have the above regulators then you use 17mm slave cylinders

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
hodg87
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by hodg87 »

Thanks. Can you replace these or at least get new washers for them, the rubber seems slightly coroded, I dont want to change master cyl and leave the tired rubber washers.

james butler

Post by james butler »

rubber washers?

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!