Dash

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
Dublass
fill in the right answer: 15

Dash

Post by Dublass »

So i have a new dash to go in my car any hints or tips to preventing it cracking? it has some very slight little ones just starting so also any suggestions on how best to help prevent them growing greatly appreciated!

Jerry Atric

Re: Dash

Post by Jerry Atric »

I guess for a start keep it covered with a towel or cloth when you leave the car parked for any length of time in bright sunlight, maybe also use one of the reflective foil sunscreens across the windscreen , inside, to prevent heat build up in the car and leave your windows a little open, if that's is practicable.

Most cracks in metal are stopped by drilling a small hole at either end, but not too sure that would be a clever idea with your dash.

Sorry not to be more help. :-(

james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by james butler »

on the back of the dash where the dash vents are theres a piece of shaped fibre board thats glued onto the main part of the dash which i have a theory swells with damp causing the dash to bow out of shape this isn't helped by the vinyl covering which shrinks in the sun.
unfortunately it seems the only prevention is keeping the dash out of strong sunlight and making sure it doesn't get damp.
and like as already been said relieving the stress in cracks starting to appear can be done by drilling small holes ant the start of each crack.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
dgeorj

Post by dgeorj »

Applying a protectant with UV protection on a regular basis might help.