4WD rocco ideas

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
BlackGTX
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: 4WD rocco ideas

Post by BlackGTX »

also doing a 4wd rocco means you dont care if its technically a rocco you just want the look and the 4wd fun because its cool

james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by james butler »

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
sabre0699

Post by sabre0699 »

A major stumbling block in the UK wil be Insurance and the DVLA wanting engineers reports before you can get it on the road, it is do- able if you have the ability to do a fair amount of fabrication or pay someone else to do it.

Easiest way is buy a tatty but runnning early Audi TT 1.8 T quattro, you would then have to take the Scirocco and remove all of the floor pan (leaving the inner and outer sills ) and mechanicals from the front bulkhead back to the the rear valance after bracing the body.

Then basically strip out the TT of all its interior and wiring loom and then take off all the outer panels and cut it down to the sill level ,then you will have to work out how to stitch the remains of the TT running gear ,floor and centre tunnel into the Scirocco shell, possibly shortening or lengthening the drive train and floor pan.

You will then have to work out the suspension pick up points, possibly widening the Scirocco arches to take into account the wider track , the wiring ,fuel lines, fuel tank etc etc, huge job

Rocco Horror

Post by Rocco Horror »

You would need to put the car through a BIVA inspection as the monocoque is modified and you couldn't register it as a Scirocco. I'd use the Audi tunnel and rear floor grafted into the Scirocco shell but keep as much of the original floor etc as possible. Biggest problem with BIVA seems to be interior - getting the right radii on things, but the Scirocco is hopefully modern enough to pass without any problems.
A project I've had in the planning for several years would possibly need BIVA, which is one reason I've not started it yet...

james butler

Post by james butler »

just bolt the rocco shell onto a landy chassis
job done :focus:

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
scrappy1382

Post by scrappy1382 »

BlackGTX wrote:also doing a 4wd rocco means you dont care if its technically a rocco you just want the look and the 4wd fun because its cool
yup :P

Scirocco Shane
84 cosmos blue storm - mafia car choice 2015 rip :-(
84 Havanna Brown Storm - 8-)
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Just spotted this thread on the Mk1 golf forum.

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.ph ... v-tintop_2

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

Nice. Will keep an eye on that.

My build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14083
Niall

Post by Niall »

Not sure if this is just me, but people are generally shocked hearing it's FWD.
I've always been tempted to gut it and drop the shell on something a bit... beefier. Pick up an accident damaged car, gut it and drop the rocco shell on the running gear and start welding.
Registering it isn't impossible, just need to settle for a Q plate and an IVA https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration ... d-vehicles

I might be biased, but I think a MX5 would be a good starting point. At least you know the handling will be on point and the parts are cheap enough.

ThomasD

Post by ThomasD »

Niall wrote:Not sure if this is just me, but people are generally shocked hearing it's FWD.
I've always been tempted to gut it and drop the shell on something a bit... beefier. Pick up an accident damaged car, gut it and drop the rocco shell on the running gear and start welding.
Registering it isn't impossible, just need to settle for a Q plate and an IVA https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration ... d-vehicles

I might be biased, but I think a MX5 would be a good starting point. At least you know the handling will be on point and the parts are cheap enough.

Seems like a lot of work. Alternatively, if you want an attractive rear wheel drive VW Group 2+2 sports coupe from the 70s/80s with fantastic handling, you could always pick up a 924/944 :-)

Mk2 Scirocco Storm
Mk3 Golf GTI VR6
BlackGTX

Post by BlackGTX »

and cut the back of it into the rocco...