Question regarding Mk1 seats

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1974-1981 - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
GTI

Question regarding Mk1 seats

Post by GTI »

The fabric covering the seat base in my GTI is all 1 piece unlike the Storm's 3 leather sections. I want to renew my seat foams and need to know if they are the same 'Sports' seat foams. I know for certain that the leather Storm seats have the 3 part base, with 2 side bolsters and a cushion. But can anyone tell me if my GTI will have the same layout underneath? Or if the foams might be the other style? Likewise for the seat backrests. They are original late Mk1 seats with the blue 'barcode' cloth

The Autoad
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Question regarding Mk1 seats

Post by The Autoad »

the foam will not be the same as the 'sport' or 'recaro' style seat -as you point out those seats are in three sections, and indeed the material and foam are three completely seperate sections. It is not the same as your seats.

The style of seat you have has one foam section and one material section on the base. It is fairly easy toremove once you have dismantled the seat base from the back at the points where the seat pivots.

The seat back on these styles of seats is a bit of a sod to remove, just be patient and you can remove it from the bottom of the section upwards. When I dismantled some seats on my old late GLS (same seat style) the back, in adition to the foam, was stuffed with a straw-like material that crumbled away and made a hell of a mess. Be prepared to renew this with something else, but comfier.

Your friendly neighbourhood Scirocco restorer for hire
GTI

Post by GTI »

These are the seats in question:

Did the 'sports' seats only come in leather then? I thought these were the sports seats, must be mistaken

The Autoad

Post by The Autoad »

only the Storms had the 'recaro' style sport seats in mk1s. The final year GTi interior is a sort of a halfway house between the standard GLS seats and the Storm! As you can see by the piping on your seats they are one piece with moulded foam.

nice shot by the way, be great to see some more of your car

GTI

Post by GTI »

Well this would seem to conflict with that:

Scirocco "S" Sportseat

http://www.mk1vw.info/img/faq/Scirocco/sciroccoi9.jpg

These are definitely some kind of 'Sport' seat, I know they aren't leather, but my point is really which foams do I need! Mk1 Golf GTi series one foams are available still, as the separate pieces, and then there is the series two Mk1 Golf GTi with the one piece base.
And the backrest, would that be the same?! Can anyone help with part numbers for the foams I need?

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

hi oli - check vagcat.com out.
you do need to register but it gives you access to etka free of charge.

looking at the 81 scirocco seat page it appears to be 533881375A for the height adjustable versions.

i have a set of those blue seats in the lock up by the way. Ant is correct, only the Storms had the 'gti' seats similar in shape/style to mk2 GTI/GTX/Storm/Scala/GT11 etc etc but the 81 gti seats were a halfway house version between the flatter gls and the bolstered strom seats.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
81GTi

Post by 81GTi »

as said the mk 1 seat base is defo 1 piece foam and the back is nasty nasty shredded wheat esque and when aged and dry it just falls to pieces

shame I never actualy got a pic of one of the bases but removal and refitting is not that hard but obviously patience is required.

I made 1 good set from 2, start..

fun was had

the finished pic is the wrong size for the forum but can be viewed here http://www.greenpod.homecall.co.uk/seats/end.jpg

The Autoad

Post by The Autoad »

Scirocco "S" is an American specification, different style of seat to the European specification as pictured through the link. Same design on the material, but different seats.

As far as i know, Mk1 Golf GTi foam will not be correct for your seats, but early Golf heads may wish to correct me.

I've just worked out who you are! Good to meet you at Stanford Hall Oli, hope you had a good show

The Autoad

Post by The Autoad »

81GTi wrote: fun was had
carnage! :hugegrin:

monzajake
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by monzajake »