Seats from other car

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1974-1981 - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
alriksson
fill in the right answer: 15

Seats from other car

Post by alriksson »

Hi! My first post here, I've a gti -78 since 6 month, what a fun little car!

But I got a problem, my driver seat have some big holes in the textile, in the seat- back- and left support area.

I've looked around for a fresh seat, but scirocco mk1 are quite rare here in Sweden, so the spare parts are few.

So! I was woundering if anyone have got their front seats replaced with seats from some other car model? I was thinking maybe some model of Golf might fit or perhaps Porsche 924, but I rather hear if you guys have any good ideas. I would love to see if you got some pictures with replacement seats.

My only creterias:
I would like if it looks like "the right time era", so even if seats from like.. Scirocco mk3 might fit, it doesn't work for me. :)

Looking forward for your ideas. Thanks /Joakim (Sweden)

alriksson

Re: Seats from other car

Post by alriksson »

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Hello and welcome.
The seats you have look like the standard VW sports type bucket seats fitted to Mk2 Scirocco, Mk2 Golfs, Mk1 golf cabriolet in the 80/90s but it's hard to tell in your pictures. Any better pictures?
If they are and you want to refit them you can buy new replacement foam and get them re trimmed in either VW style fabric or fabric of your choice, the VW fabric is avaible from some suppliers in the UK or Germany I have no idea on Swedish suppliers?

You can fit most seats with the right skills and a seat base, Ive seen Audi TT seats fitted to Mk1 so any thing is possible for the right money.

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/golf-mk ... eat-belts/
http://www.newtoncomm.co.uk/home/

Or are you hoping to just unbolt the old ones and slide in some different seat?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
alriksson

Post by alriksson »

Hi! No, I aware that seats from some other car model might need some modification to fit. Here in Sweden it's quite expensive to refit seats, and the car might need other work as well :) therefore I looking in the possibilities to change to some other car models seats, so I was woundering if anyone changed their seats and maybe got some pictures of it.

One other option might be to find a seat cover but I want it to look good, so the figment of the cover needs to be real good. If anyone knows a company that manufactures seat cover for this kind of seats, a link to their website would be awesome.

(Sorry if my English grammar is bad, hope you understand me any ways :) )

alriksson

Post by alriksson »

This is the only pictures I got for the moment, is this the exact same model of seats that is in a golf mk1 cab? I've heard they are a little wider than the golfs..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bengould

Post by bengould »

Anything is possible if you're willing to do a bit of modifying.

Not the greatest photo but these are in mine.

:beers: to the first one to guess what they came out of*, they are standard fitment to a pretty common road car.

Ben

*No actual :beers: will be exchanged, just fake internet :beers: ;-)

alriksson

Post by alriksson »

Thanks for the picture, might they be from a Ford Focus rs mk1? My self looking for something more true for the time the car was built, "70's sports seats" or how I best would explain it.

eddypeck

Post by eddypeck »

Mk2 Golf seats will go straight in, but they sit slightly higher than Standard Sirocco ones. Coraddo seats are a direct fit as well and are lower than Golf seats so more like the original Sirocco position. However these are more 90's and I gather you want an older 70/80s retro look.

Recarro LS were the model used in many VW. They were also used in Ford so there's plenty available. You will either need to buy the correct mounting frames for them, or get the welder out an fabricate something from your old seat frames.

The problem with these options as they're all around 30 years old so will mostly be in a similar state to what you have now so will need to be re-covered anyway.

The Reacrro used in Vaxhual/Opel were a bit different and look a bit more retro, I could see those working well. Basically have a look through ebay for cars of the period. If you're willing to make the frames then anything is possible, New or Old.

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Why not just have your existing seats refurbished?

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
alriksson

Post by alriksson »

the edmundator wrote:Why not just have your existing seats refurbished?
I'd love to do that, but here in Sweden it will cost me around 1500£ for one seat, money I just don't have :(

alriksson

Post by alriksson »

Have anyone installed bucket seats? Thinking perhaps something like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-Of-Class ... 1486617544

eddypeck

Post by eddypeck »

I love that kind of seat but think they're more suited to a vintage Triumph, MG or maybe a mini.

alriksson

Post by alriksson »

Agree, they are perfect in cars with no back seat what so ever.

duggers

Post by duggers »

This company do replacement covers in vynil or leather for mk1 golf etc. http://www.autoleathers.co.uk/index.asp?IDNDoc=339
Assuming your seats are sports (same as GTi/storm mk1 ) they will fit.
You just need some closed cell foam [or replacement bolsters ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141694714932? ... EBIDX%3AIT ) ] available from any upholsterer or foam supplier.

Strip the seats, but take LOTS of pictures so it all goes back together, and away you go.............. sounds easy but just needs methodical approach and patience!

Apparently the dreadful paint on my Rocco is PATINA....
Membership # 432
alriksson

Post by alriksson »

Thanks! I've contacted autoleathers but they said it wouldn't fit my seats. Are you sure the seats in mk1 golf cab and scirocco are the same? :)