Mk1 GLi out again

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1974-1981 - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
silverpilot
fill in the right answer: 15

Mk1 GLi out again

Post by silverpilot »

Hi Folks,
New boy to the register, old boy scirocco fan. I have just yesterday brought out my 1980 Gli from long term storage in mother's garage, unfortunately she passed away in the summer and all the toys need to find a new home. So just thought I would share with you my virtually original Mk 1 Gli, second owner from 1984, even the radio is original!!, she started with the first turn and after 10 years in the garage she backed nicely out. Tyres pumped up, and away she went ( Garage man drove it back to our village workshop on trade plates ). Last time out was 2005 for an MOT after 16 years storage but car prices were not that strong so back it went.

Well she needs new tyres, brakes refurbed, fuel line sorted, exhaust sorted and one or two other bits you would expect but all in all I'm quite pleased with how its survived. Question now is do I sell as is or spend a few pounds and put an MOT on it. The garage owner has already offered a reasonable sum, but you will probably understand that I don't want to give it away ( not literally ) after keeping it for over 30 years. I would guess that these cars in there original state with no fancy add on's, except for the tow bar for family camping trips with a small trailer, and only 81k miles on the clock are few and far between, and that there are discerning Scirocco fans that would welcome the chance to restore to full glory. Any advice from those who know would be welcome.
pic 1.pdf
pic 2.pdf
pic 3.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

the edmundator
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Mk1 GLi out again

Post by the edmundator »

Looks to have kept in good shape, but obviously will need a mechanical overhaul after that lay-up.

I think '70s/'80s cars have yet to really take-off in the classic car market and the mk1 Scirocco (not necessarily the mk2 as much) is due for its "discovery" by the collectors. Numbers are sufficiently thin on the ground for it to become more desirable especially as the mk1 Golf GTI becomes less attainable.

But really, whether or not you sell depends on how much you want to keep it and whether the money you'd get for it now would be enough for you.

I reckon £1-£2k without an MoT. Depending on how far you take the reconditioning, £3-£5k with.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

The car does look like it survived well, the wings look good as they usually rot away in the corners. I agree with "the edmundator" on the price as he has bought and sold a few, but without seeing it it's really hard to tell as the Mk1 can hide rust in the sills, rear arches and the rear valence.

I would get an MOT as a car with one is always easier to sell or enjoy it in the summer and see if you want to keep it, you may get the Mk1 Scirocco bug!

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

The run-up to Christmas is probably the worst time of year to sell any car so I think you'd be better off making it as saleable as possible, i.e. get the MOT.

silverpilot

Post by silverpilot »

Thanks Folks, good advice.
Back in the late 80's I had a knock with a temporary road sign that had wandered into the road, new o/s wing and bonnet, at the time I was employed as a buyer for an industrial vehicle company and had access through the reps to some pretty amazing paint systems, so I had the body shop underseal all the new and old panels, hence the lack of rust I guess. I've ask round the local body shops and got an idea of price to respray the bonnet, micro blisters / stone chips need sorting, respray alloy wheels and I think unless the garage chap up's his £2.5k offer at bit as is, then its MOT time and spring sale. Wife not keen on keeping it and to be honest I've got too many toys as it is and age is not on my side for hanging on to it. Again thanks for your time in replying, appreciated.

FuzzyEdges

Post by FuzzyEdges »

Hello! You have a PM!
Cheers,
Gary.

It's nice to be nice.