mk1 mirrors

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1974-1981 - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
Nate
fill in the right answer: 10

mk1 mirrors

Post by Nate »

are the door mirrors the same as mk1 golf?

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
1lazza

Re: mk1 mirrors

Post by 1lazza »

Mirror heads are identical. But...the cast foot which connects to the door and its gasket are different. Golf mirrors will never sit correctly on a Scirocco.

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

1lazza wrote:Mirror heads are identical. But...the cast foot which connects to the door and its gasket are different. Golf mirrors will never sit correctly on a Scirocco.

I gave Ant a set of the Rocco gaskets specific to the earlier flag mirrors - he should be able to quote a part number if the online catalogues can't help.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

I managed to find a brand new hella one so might still have box with the old in so can check the part number on the box for you, I'll look tomorrow.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Nate

Post by Nate »

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!! i didn't even think about mirrors before it was painted. no holes for a mirror in the passenger door :dash: and i've also today realised i forgot to ask ant to fill the aerial hole in the wing. *sulking*

vr_powered

Post by vr_powered »

Colour code a gromet for the wing? better than nothing in the meantime, or just fit a period aerial and leave it down

Blueshark

Post by Blueshark »

Nate wrote:aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!! i didn't even think about mirrors before it was painted. no holes for a mirror in the passenger door. *sulking*
No worries, no holes in the door probably means nothing underneath for mounting the mirror on anyway.
Should be a metalstud or something with thread in it I gues.

I am not familiar with MK I doors but this seems likely to me, correct me if I am wrong.

Joost

1lazza

Post by 1lazza »

No worries, no holes in the door probably means nothing underneath for mounting the mirror on anyway.
Should be a metalstud or something with thread in it I gues.
I carefully measured and drilled my MK1 GLS passenger door a veeeery long time ago to fit a mirror and there were the correct threaded fixings under the skin...doesn't mean all doors will be this way, but probably cheaper for VW to make all door inner structures the same than create handed variants. - Proceed at your own risk!

Nate

Post by Nate »

I'm just getting sipped off with the number of little problems, or things that weren't quite thought out right. Was very close to sticking it on eBay yesterday

mr.brown
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by mr.brown »

Look at the early brochures, mk1s were never meant to have a passenger mirror :-)

Nate

Post by Nate »

But I want one. I'm used to having one and no windscreen mirror

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

I had no mirror or fixes in the passenger door so drilled a couple of holes then painted the edge of the hole to stop it going rusty then my dad and something like a pop rivet gun which you have a threaded insert that you screw on, put in the hole and squeeze the gun and the threaded insert is expanded into the hole then screwed the mirror on. I'll ask him later what the tool is called but it seems to work for me and the mirror has stayed on the car.

Membership No. 323
mr.brown
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by mr.brown »

Nate wrote:But I want one. I'm used to having one and no windscreen mirror
Fair enough, if I looked like you I wouldn't want a rear view mirror either :-D

jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

mark1gls wrote:I had no mirror or fixes in the passenger door so drilled a couple of holes then painted the edge of the hole to stop it going rusty then my dad and something like a pop rivet gun which you have a threaded insert that you screw on, put in the hole and squeeze the gun and the threaded insert is expanded into the hole then screwed the mirror on. I'll ask him later what the tool is called but it seems to work for me and the mirror has stayed on the car.
Nate google Riv Nut or equivalent. You get them in kits, not cheap, but very handy when you have one.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Thats the tool! I watch the video on youtube and they mentioned cutting a notch I did not do this but the mirror seems to stay on even at above motorway speeds on my private air field :-D

Membership No. 323