Rotten storm

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1974-1981 - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
dubs
fill in the right answer: 10

Rotten storm

Post by dubs »

Got a dilemma. Currently building our house and I have a large barn with a few classics stored in it, My dilemma is I have 2 MK1 storms I is 1/2 finshed resto in silvergreen and the other is a pretty rotten brown one. I am undecided whether to ebay the rotten one or strip it and keep all the spares for my green one? the rear axle has collapsed up through axle mount on drivers side. Can this area be repaired once main part of axle mount behind chassis leg repair has rotted? Or will the geometry never be the same? Any help would be appreciated as I hate sending cars to the scrapyard hence the full shed

1980 scirocco storm green
1980 scirocco Gli green
1982 Golf Gti white
ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Rotten storm

Post by ianaudia4 »

Nice situation to be in, not just one MK1 but two! Anything can be repaired (to a degree) but it sounds like your brown Storm would take a lot of time, effort and money to put right and I suppose how good would the quality of work be once finished? Is your goal to get them both back to "as new"?

Ant down at the Grotto has done quite a few restos on MK1's, you could get a few pictures and ask him.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
litlekris

Post by litlekris »

I wouldn't feel bad about breaking the brown one, especially if it can help the other get back on the road plus could help the finances selling not needed parts on here.. I could be interested in a fawn leather interior if it's in good condition.. ;)

Nate

Post by Nate »

ant has just finished sticking 2 rear chassis legs on my mk1. genuine repair sections are available from heritage (£112 a side iirc) and fitted perfectly.

see build thread http://www.sciroccoregisterforum.co.uk/ ... 20#p110504

slight adjustment of the rear geometry (trakc and camber) is then possible using shims

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
roccoplus1

Post by roccoplus1 »

Repairing the rear chassis legs is not to bad a job but is time consuming, also you would need to get the axle and fuel tank out of the way, as far as geometry is concerned provided cross checks were carried out with a measuring tool to confirm everything was in the right place before welding up the leg then there should be no problems, I'd like to show you some images of repairs I have carried out but everything I have is to large to load onto this page, have a look on my face book page KW Restorations.