Inner Headlights

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1974-1981 - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
theboysmiffy

Inner Headlights

Post by theboysmiffy »

I want to remove my inner spots for radiator clearance and extra cooling. Does anyone know if I will still have high beam on the outer lights?

Cheers

mr.brown
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Inner Headlights

Post by mr.brown »

No, they don't work like mk2 headlights unfortunately. That said, mine have mk2 wiring so I could be talking crap.

Worst case I'm sure some of the BMW E30 outers have dual function.

theboysmiffy

Post by theboysmiffy »

Damn, I guess its an MoT fail without them. I will look into the e30 units.

PeteGLi
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by PeteGLi »

If you replace the outer units with units that take an H4 bulb instead of an H1 and re-wire accordingly, then you will have both functions. The usual suspects - Vehicle Wiring Products, Car Builder Solutions, etc, all do 5 3/4" units with a sidelight. Just make sure that the sidelight does not obstruct the fit of the unit into the headlight frame.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

What engine are you running? If a standard engine and not a 20v turbo you should be fine with the size of the radiator fitted, if the cars getting hot it may be your current radiator is old and blocked up. Old coolant will also not help with cooling.

I've hammered mine down the motorway, got stuck in traffic for some time in hot wether and the temputure gauge never goes above 3/4 when stationary then the fan kicks in and back down to 1/2. When moving it sits at 1/2 way.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
theboysmiffy

Post by theboysmiffy »

Thanks for all the help. Its a 9a on twin 45s, the alloy rad I bought is a bit tight but it is now going to get modified so hopefully problem solved!

Nate

Post by Nate »

mk1 uses a standard size light. an H4 unit (dip and main beam) is easy and cheap to get hold of. i opted for 2 H4 units each side on mine - cristal ones from a jag :-D

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3