Introduce yourself

General discussion focusing mainly on the cars and the Scirocco Register - other stuff within reason.
Forum rules
This is a GENERAL discussion area - we have set up specific areas for eg technical queries, model specific issues etc etc to help you get the right answer quicker.
James109
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by James109 »

Thanks mate, I sold my last one in 2012, always kept an interest though. Been up to the neck with series Land Rovers since mind! I did have a Corrado 16v around 5 years ago but I didn’t get on with it. I bet that was a good shakedown run, I always think if it makes it home it’ll probably be a good one!

jon525

Post by jon525 »

Hi All

Been into VAG 30yrs + owning various water and air cooled models over this period, first car being a 76 mk1 golf in the yellow/orange marino colour (wish i still had it)!!. However I never owned a scirocco but my Dad bought a year old 1.6GL in 1985 and his brother went one better in 1986 and bought a GTX in monza blue which i loved and when I decided to look for a scirocco last year I posted a wanted ad for a monza blue on this site. I think a member noted me on an available one but it was converted to the devils fuel and was a bit rough and I was looking for a driver as I already have a mk1 golf GTI needing attention!!!. I spotted H24 YBD on gumtree and long story short bought it from a lovely fella Mike in Bristol and drove it home to Kent, Mike had bought it from a couple who had owned it from new and was always main dealer serviced and dealt with for everything, so a folder of history, including bill of sale from Wayside VW head office, service wallet even the dealer fitted Blaupunkt Melbourne and Quantum instructions. Its standard aside from the Bilstein B4's and Eibach springs which really improved the stance and handling and aside from replacing the crumbling rear view and buying another Melbourne for a missing knob thats how it will stay!!!!.

Thanks all and hope to get out to some meets when current situation allows.

Jon
resize sirocco.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jack92
Site Admin

Post by Jack92 »

Hi Jon,

Looks very clean and a good find by the sounds of it. Hopefully see you at some meets in the future

Jack
South East

VW Scirocco Scala MK2 1.8 Inj
Jaguar XE

www.jackgregory.me.uk
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Welcome jon525, that looks a very tidy Scirocco you have there, any work needed to it?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
jon525

Post by jon525 »

Thanks Jack92 and mark1gls.

No work required, like I said I swopped out the suspension and its had a service including genuine timing belt and tensioner. Going through the folder of invoices it had a genuine VAG filler neck fitted by VW in 2013 at quite an expense (part alone at £233.00)!!.

Oh and the MFA doesn't want to play!!!!!. See my post in electrical if anyone has any ideas...........

Cheers

Jon

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Jon - a huge welcome, what a VAG history - glad you eventually got a Type 53 for yourself.

Yes - an odd year but you'll find this a friendly, well informed bunch but never too precious.

Keep an eye our facebook page too.

Having cancelled our 2020 NATIONAL you've now got more time to sort the Scala out for 2021 !

Weclome.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
jon525

Post by jon525 »

Thanks GTXTRA

The only things really needing attention are cosmetic as the car itself drives like new which is credit to the 2 previous owners i guess. Not a fan of social media so Facebook is out i'm afraid but I'm sure I can check in here to share information etc!!.

Cheers again

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

There is a few members on this site always willing to help so ask anything.
A lot of us check on the site every few hours so you may not get an answer immediately so be patient and I’m sure someone can help.

Start up a project thread as we always like to see other people’s cars even more so this year with no shows/meets happening this year...

Membership No. 323
Mikeyb1983

Post by Mikeyb1983 »

Morning all,

So I’m Mike been an avid VW fan for a good few years now having owned a MK1 golf GTi, MK3 Golf GTi (controversial, I know!) and now finding myself coming back into the VW fold with the purchase of a 2016 Scirocco 2.0 TDi R-Line picking it up next week. Will post pics once I have it.

MRMENDER

Post by MRMENDER »

Welcome along Mikeyb

Jez2528

Post by Jez2528 »

Hi, I'm Jez.

50 tomorrow and so decided to get myself a big boy toy to play with. In my teens I devloped a longing for Mk1s and Mk 2s, but could never afford them... then adulthood kicked in and roll forward 30 years...I always used to do my own basic mechanics and servicing on my early cars before they became rolling computers! I am not an officianoado, I don't understand the technical lingo or know the part, model or spec details, I'm an old school scirocco fan.

so...long story short, bought a 1986 GTX that had been rescued and had the initial resto started. I was probably a bit naive toward how much work was going to be needed and as I slowly peel back the layers, I'm finding more and more. So a "fun project to get a Rocco running for summer" is likely to be a far greater challenge than expected. Still...it's another one saved and it might actually save me from lockdown madness!

not a great start to my register membership...I've lost my handbook with the discount codes and I am about to order a whole binload of bits! so any assistance greatly received :)

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Welcome Jez2528, glad to hear you are saving a GTX as I don’t think there can be may left on the road.
We are here if you need any help or advice and I’m sure someone from the admin will be along soon to help with discount codes etc..

If you can start up a build thread in the project section as we always love a project, I find the tapatalk app on my phone is the easiest way to post pictures but I use the computer to write the text.

Membership No. 323
Brian68

Post by Brian68 »

Hi everyone,
I'm Brian and I bought a GTII in November. It had been off the road since 2015 and today I just got it mot'd today. :-D
The forum has been a goldmine of info for getting it up and running. It's a little challenged in the bodywork dept, but will be a rolling resto.

MRMENDER

Post by MRMENDER »

Welcome Brian68

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Hello Brian68, good to hear another Scirocco is on the road and you are out there enjoying it.
It’s a good idea to get all the mechanical stuff working right then worry about the body work as it’s got a MOT so I guess it’s not rusty holes you have to worry about.

Shout if you need any help along the way.

Membership No. 323