It's all over for my car....

General discussion focusing mainly on the cars and the Scirocco Register - other stuff within reason.
Forum rules
This is a GENERAL discussion area - we have set up specific areas for eg technical queries, model specific issues etc etc to help you get the right answer quicker.
20VTerror

It's all over for my car....

Post by 20VTerror »

Hi All,
Unfortunately last week someone pulled across in front of me and has written off my beloved car. (see pic)
I was obviously in tears as it's not just a car but a 16yr journey that I've been on with her. We've had so many stories and adventures and tears and laughter along the way that I really can't express how terrible I feel.
The insurance assessor has written her off as a CAT B which means that, with all the money in the world, I can't put her back on the road. (and I would spend all the money in the world to get her back)
I wanted you all to know this as firstly one of the best modified Scirocco's anywhere has now been lost, and secondly I need to ask for your opinions and advise.
Whilst I can't rebuild her on that chassis I can get parts of her to live on in another project - I've been thinking of any other car that I'd like but have come up blank.
On the same token I don't want to spoil a perfectly good and rare example by swapping the engine and everything.
I have found a shell that I could start with but having to start literally from scratch is quite daunting and probably isn't the most cost effective solution. I'm wondering, does anyone know of a deserving donor car to start with? Something that is mechanically not all that sound but has reasonable bodywork - I'd be swapping the interior so that's not too much of an issue and I'd very probably be getting it re-sprayed anyway but - something that would be a good starting place.
I'm also wondering if you think that I should even be doing this? Is it actually sacrilege to modify anything these days as they are becoming rarer and rarer.?
Lastly I do need to provide more evidence for the insurance of the value of the car so if there are any of the more senior forum members that have seen her and could provide some input I'd be really grateful.
As I say, I am completely gutted and even a week after the accident am still very angry that she has been taken away from me through no fault of my own. I always imagined that I'd finish her off going far too fast down a country lane somewhere not to have been cruising on a nice day and have a fiat 500L take her away..
Many thanks and I do feel a little better for writing all that down.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GT_II
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: It's all over for my car....

Post by GT_II »

That's really bad news. Are you sure the Cat B is justified? Or is the assessor just trying to cover their back due to unfamiliarity with what is effectively a 1970s structure? How far back does the structural damage go?

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
20VTerror

Post by 20VTerror »

Ah, she's boned. Both A Pillars are up and rippled. I knew it as soon as I looked at her. You could straighten her on a jig but the front leg is pushed into the bulkhead so I think his conclusion is justified.. (And believe me I tried to persuade him!)

whiteshark
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by whiteshark »

I'm no expert in this field, but category B seems extreme judging by the photograph above . Is your windscreen even cracked?
How badly were your front slam panel struts bent / crushed. I agree with GT_II but I cant tell from the photo how far back the car is crushed.

As you have had it 16 years, get it and strip every bit of it that you can, and leave a bare shell for your insurance company. You are not at fault here so do not settle easy on offers unless your value is agreed.

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

I wonder if the Cat B assessment is based on the lack of availability of structural parts. However, it seems some may still be available from Volkswagen Classic Parts. See, for example right hand chassis leg here:

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de ... 55c8f.html

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
20VTerror

Post by 20VTerror »

I've told the insurance that I can source all the parts but that just isn't their concern. As far as they can see thr car shouldn't be put bavk on the road.
The picture that I posted doesn't really show the os wheel pushed back or the gaps between the roof and the top of the doors. I've not taken any more detailed pictured as it's just too depressing.

silvermyn

Post by silvermyn »

I feel gutted for you... not what anyone on here wants to see. I guess you have to be as clinical about it as you can and rescue as many of the harder to obtain/valuable parts as possible.

Sorry that this happened. At least she kept you safe and you walked away from what could have been a far worse situation.

mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

No point repairing when you can still pick up straight examples for relatively little.

Iffi73

Post by Iffi73 »

Happened to my mk1 golf, rear ended. I feel for you mate.
I also tried my best to talk the assessor around but no joy however he did raise the value after seeing some of the details of the cars condition. I had an agreed valuation at the time o got a fair amount back. I also bought the car back for a measly amount.

By all means go for another project. It would be done/redone "in the right way this time" learning from your previous experiences.
The thrill that you will get when you start up the new build will be immense plus your evening would be filled with the tinkering and fettling that we all hate to love and love to hate.

Perhaps you can document the progress and you get to go car shopping, wait for the correct year/colour/condition and price and God willing, you will be successful.. Best wishes on this, keep your chin up and crack on mate.

20VTerror

Post by 20VTerror »

Thanks for those kind words it's appreciated and you're right, it will be a thrill getting a new project up and going, perhaps I'll go a bit more 'show' this time (still with plenty of go though..!)
I still remember vividly the first time I drove her after the engine swap JESUS that thing scared the pants off me!! Both myself and my mate that had given me a lift down there couldn't stop swearing about the acceleration she had.

james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by james butler »

ahhh man that really sucks, good thing is your still alive to tell the tale!
dont give up on roccos though, push the insurance for the best payout you can and scrounge as many parts of the old one as you can and build a new one.
dont let one accident ruin the experience and put you off these cars.
i feel for you i really do as i worry the same will happen to me one day.
but one good thing is the club will morally support you so keep it goin :beers:

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
BlackGTX

Post by BlackGTX »

Got a 2l16v gtx project i could part with

haddock_n_chips

Post by haddock_n_chips »

Sorry to see the car has been written off.

I know it's heart wrenching and sad but at the end of the day it's a metal box with wheels. You are safe & sound and that's the important thing.

Cars can be re-built (even in to a new shell), daunting at first but remember why you did it in the first place and get cracking!

Hope you get something sorted soon :-)

Fresco3000

Post by Fresco3000 »

Man, gutted for you, I had a lesser bang last year - similar scenario. Again the insurer just wanted to write it off.

You can accept the claim and buy back the car for almost nothing. On the project, these cars were put together with random parts on a production line. The specs and models are merely depending on the parts, get the year right - most core parts are the same. Rebuild her, stronger, faster, better!

1980 Mk1 Scirocco GLi / 1986 T25 Caravelle / 1989 Mk2 Scirocco GT
philiproux05

Post by philiproux05 »

whiteshark wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:04 pm I'm no expert in this field, but category B seems extreme judging by the photograph above . Is your windscreen even cracked?
How badly were your front slam panel struts bent / crushed expert référencement Paris. I agree with GT_II but I cant tell from the photo how far back the car is crushed.

As you have had it 16 years, get it and strip every bit of it that you can, and leave a bare shell for your insurance company. You are not at fault here so do not settle easy on offers unless your value is agreed.
In any case, accidents always suck. This is something we can still avoid.