mot exemption poll

General discussion focusing mainly on the cars and the Scirocco Register - other stuff within reason.
Forum rules
This is a GENERAL discussion area - we have set up specific areas for eg technical queries, model specific issues etc etc to help you get the right answer quicker.

take exempt car for test?

Yes
76%
No
24%

Total votes: 17

Nate
fill in the right answer: 10

mot exemption poll

Post by Nate »

When your rocco reaches 40 and becomes eligible for historic vehicle mot exemption, will you still take it for an annual test?

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
scrumpyone

Re: mot exemption poll

Post by scrumpyone »

Yes, they could spot something I miss.

Dave

Register No:1110
'79 MK1 GLS (R.I.P.)
'91 MK2 GT2 (alive & kicking)
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Yes, as of January next year my car will no longer need an MOT but I’m still going to get it checked over, things like brakes can’t be tested at home....

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Absolutely. Most of us are amateur mechanics with inadequate facilities to check our cars.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
james butler

Post by james butler »

most insurers require a valid MOT too as driving without it can invalidate insurance in an accident, so i wonder if you need to tell them its mot exempt?

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
whiteshark

Post by whiteshark »

Takes no more than half an hour normally. In N . Ireland it is the same as the test used in Germany. Very thorough but gives you peace of mind. You can always ask the checker where and which part the fault lies. Great to get a digital readout of your brake effiency on each side as well. Saved my bacon on my Volvo estate. I never spotted the fault, my mechanic never spotted it, but on the ramp my two front brake hoses had a crack which left unnoticed would have split whilst driving. An independent check never goes a miss in my book.

Nuckleduster
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Nuckleduster »

I check all our cars before M.O.T. and occasionally I miss something--(very rarely) but I still prefer for a fresh pair of eyes to look over our cars as it`s mine and my wife`s life on the line. My M.O.T. station is strict and I prefer that to the lax standards at some stations. I have always used the same station and I trust the examiners judgement--he gets a real kick out of finding something I have missed and knows that I will put the car right. Remember TOUGH MOT SAFE CAR especially when its approaching 30 years old.I do all the work on our cars as I don`t trust a garage to do the job properly--most charge for half a job--sensors they change willy nilly--doesn`t cure the fault but they still charge ridiculous amounts for unnessasery work.
Best wishes
Gerry

91 Scirocco Scala 1.8 inj rolling shell gone but not forgotten
90 Scirocco Scala 1.8 inj Colour Dark Metalic Green daily ride
Vw MK4 Golf Estate @180bhp Daily working car--Silver
94 Corrado 2.9 VR6 Metalic purple--gone to Manchester--