Q For quality ..... apparently!

General discussion focusing mainly on the cars and the Scirocco Register - other stuff within reason.
Forum rules
This is a GENERAL discussion area - we have set up specific areas for eg technical queries, model specific issues etc etc to help you get the right answer quicker.
MRMENDER
fill in the right answer: 10

Q For quality ..... apparently!

Post by MRMENDER »

What journey I have been through with both my Cabriolet Scirocco's!
Where to start! after getting the cosmos blue car on the road and getting used to it, I sent my V5 to the DVLA to say it was now a convertible.
They did not reply for maybe 6 weeks, then all hell broke loose! Various forms to fill in. then in June a letter to say the car had to be taken off the road, and go through a IVA test then issued with a Q plate. I protested saying I already had one. Big misteak!! They then took that car off the road! Even though it was on the V5 as a convertible!.
Back to the cosmos blue car. It was my own fault. I had come under the "Radically altered vehicle rule" Since I had altered the monocoque, I had lost 5 points on their 8 point rule :-(
It's cost me about £1000 to get it through a IVA test. The IVA test costs £450 plus £90 for re test. Big thanks to Ant at rust republic for doing the work for getting through the test as a favor. top man! The nearest IVA test station to me is, Chadderton Manchester 110 Miles away.
Ive made 2 acquaintances /friends through all this One a guy who modifies high end cars using CAD design. The other is an ex DVLA official who has been a star. All found through 2 forums.
Thankfully they DVLA have re issued the V5 for the green car with just a note saying "its made up of various bits some of which may not be new".
The green car was converted in 1992. IVA tests did not come in until 1998. Luckily the body shop who did this conversion is still going and remembers doing it. That was a good result in the end!
For the past 4 months I have become embroiled in the world of DVLa rules and car modifying in general.
New rules come in from next year regarding engine mods and power increases . If your car was fitted with a bigger engine, or power increase greater than 15% after 1988. It will never become tax or MOT exempt. How are they going to police this? From next year if a car is presented for and MOT The tester is duty bound to report that the car has been modified. For engine swaps this is almost impossible to police, as engine numbers are very hard to find. That won't go far!
The big one is DO NOT ALTER YOUR MONOCOQUE in any way! This includes "Notching out" to take bigger drive shafts. Any cutting and altering suspension mounts. If you do then it has to be IVA tested and a Q plate issued
Biggest thing I have learned is tell the DVLA NOTHING! The fella who is ex DVLA and helped me out says likewise. Just about every operative at the DVLA no nothing about cars, they just follow rules. If your form lands on the right persons desk you could be ok. Wrong desk?
Happy motoring ;-)

Nate

Re: Q For quality ..... apparently!

Post by Nate »

Just thinking aloud about another project...

"If your car was fitted with a bigger engine, or power increase greater than 15% after 1988. It will never become tax or MOT exempt"

If it already is tax and mot exempt, how is the tester gonna be able to report the modifications?

*whistles and looks innocent*

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
MRMENDER

Post by MRMENDER »

Nate wrote:Just thinking aloud about another project...

"If your car was fitted with a bigger engine, or power increase greater than 15% after 1988. It will never become tax or MOT exempt"

If it already is tax and mot exempt, how is the tester gonna be able to report the modifications?

*whistles and looks innocent*
When you tell the DVLA that you have, say swapped an engine and provide a new engine number.This will flag something the DVLA. They could ask for the car to be inspected by either DVLA or VOSA. Maybe not

Nate

Post by Nate »

I'm trying to decide what to do engine wise in the campervan.

I've got a 2E sat here that I was planning on chucking in, nice and easy to put aircon and hydraulic pas on it.

I'm slightly nervous about it ending up on a Q as it's going to have a custom front subframe with modern steering suspension and brakes. An obviously non standard engine might be pushing it a bit far.

Can't decide :-/

MRMENDER

Post by MRMENDER »

It depends on what you mean by "Custom subframe" ? If its something you've knocked up in your shed then yes it's a problem!
Look up the DVLA 8 point rule. Its not exactly light reading or very clear!
I found the searching the internet a bit of a blunt instrument! There are those "Armchair experts" who just want make a fool of you. I was lucky to be pointed in the right direction by a great bloke, who then put me in touch with the ex DVLA man.
Good article by VW Heritage
https://www.vwheritage.com/blog/2015/08 ... t-your-vw/
The DVLA website
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration ... d-vehicles

eefy

Post by eefy »

Glad their both back on the road Hywel

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

The power to Weight thing has now been dropped after Fhbvc lobbies.

See classic car weekly issue last Wednesday.

All sounds pretty awful H..

Serial Rocco-ist.........
Nate

Post by Nate »

I am curious how much "wiggle room" there is.

For example, one of the reasons for loosing the original registration is if "there’s evidence that 2 vehicles have been welded together to form one (ie ‘cut and shut’)"

So if I have a panel cut from a scrap shell to repair rust (or rtc I suppose, but I'm more thinking specifically about what potentially could result from work I would like to have done to my mk2) on my Rocco, how far could you go before there is an identity question. I need to repair one of the doors around the handle, which might be done by welding a section roughly 4 inch square from a donor vehicle. Technically that's welding bits from 2 vehicles together. If I just swap the whole bolt on door over, no welding has happened. I honestly don't mean that to be as facetious as it might sound.

Nate

Post by Nate »

...althougg being realistic, I'm likely to be joining you in the Q club before too long :beers:

MRMENDER

Post by MRMENDER »

Nate wrote:...althougg being realistic, I'm likely to be joining you in the Q club before too long :beers:
Whilst being a quite exclusive "club" Having a Q plate is a bit like admitting you have a "Social disease" ;-) In all honesty the stigma attached is ill founded.
I don't recommend, anybody be in a situation where they have to put a car through a IVA test! Stressful & expensive. :lol:

Nate

Post by Nate »

Is an iva unavoidable for going onto a Q plate then?

MRMENDER

Post by MRMENDER »

From the DVLA website
12. 'Q' registration numbers

DVLA issues ‘Q’ registration numbers to vehicles whose age or identity is in doubt.

If this happens, any original vehicle registration number will become invalid and you mustn’t display it again.

To get a ‘Q’ registration number, your vehicle has to pass a type approval process.