Where is everyone?

General discussion focusing mainly on the cars and the Scirocco Register - other stuff within reason.
Forum rules
This is a GENERAL discussion area - we have set up specific areas for eg technical queries, model specific issues etc etc to help you get the right answer quicker.
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Where is everyone?

Post by mark1gls »

It seems very quiet on here at the moment? :dunno:

I don't really do facebook only twice a year or so, are you all on facecloth...???

What have you all been upto with you Scirocco.

Shame to say mines still sat in the garage, I've driven it every month or so but only for about 15 miles each time and not washed or cleaned since December.

New oil and filter, new fuel filter, new cambelt, new spark plugs and HT leads all in a ready to go, water pump being noisy but still working, I have bought a new one but not fitted it yet .... Just need to find the time to get it out on the open road.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
whiteshark

Re: Where is everyone?

Post by whiteshark »

Mines off the road.

The rear wheel arch, fuel filler neck panel have had it.

Was looking at the rear end too and its getting totally replaced asit would take way too much time to patch up.

My welding is not that good so I have a friend doing it. He works in Body repairs.

If you saw a picture of it now you would say scrap it.

Will also probably replace the tailgate while I'm at it and this time stick on my Zender spoiler.
Everywhere else on the car is solid and after a new timing belt and water pump the engines running great.

Really looking forward to getting it back on the road as there was always an issue with the rear arch and it should look far better and be leak free!

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Hi Mark - tbh i generally just check in on here re. new sign ups and to make sure things running smoothly...
Forums are all a bit quieter based on things i pick up on e38, club gti etc etc.

I do always try to point people to here from FB when 'regular' queries crop up but the 'younger generation' don't seem too keen having to actually 'search' for stuff. They want instant response etc etc. A tricky one...

We do try to keep on top of the various platforms to reflect how people use the internet these days but, at the end of the day, we can't be everywhere.

We'll stick with the forum due to the wealth of shared knowledge on here but it's a good prompt to remember to keep it refreshed.

cheers

Serial Rocco-ist.........
james butler

Post by james butler »

like wise i try to keep up to date on the forum but it seems the Facebook page is booming and taking over slowly.
unfortunately a series of events and other commitments has slowed my project work to a grinding halt the last 2 months.
the weather being one of the issues the last 2-3 weeks.
at least its not just this forum taking the hit, other forums have reported steady declines in member activity and interest.
like Sean says people want easy answers and dont want to wait.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
16v_coupe

Post by 16v_coupe »

I am still lurking here in the register every few days. I still have 3 Sciroccos here across the pond, 2 in Maryland and 1 in Florida. My 2, mk1 Sciroccos are currently not on the road, but my mk2 Scirocco 16v is on road and I drove from Maryland to Ohio and back, for a Cincy Scirocco gathering in Dayton that was last Friday - Sunday (2 - 4 June) at a small community airport, I put around 1400 miles on clock for this event. Here is a post from thread on VW Vortex that has pictures this event : http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.p ... t105812241

88 Scirocco 16v, 1.8 litre PL, L90E
87 Scirocco 16v, 2.0 litre 16v 9A, LY3D
82 Scirocco S2, 2.0 litre 16v 9A, LK5Y
81 Scirocco S1, 1.6 litre 16v EW/PL, LA3V
80 Scirocco Storm, 1.6 EG, L98F, GTG 951W (sold, in PA)

:pilot:
james butler

Post by james butler »

nice pics and epic road trip :good:

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
Rocco2
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Rocco2 »

I'm still building mine :D
https://postimg.org/image/o2c6ukkf7/
https://postimg.org/image/uxmbjbrsp/

Interior is ready at least and I just need to put it together.
https://postimg.org/image/hxst74f85/

Rocco goes turbo
mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

Plodding on with the 9th (or is it 10th?) engine conversion - which is turning into a full scale rebuild...

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

mr.brown wrote:Plodding on with the 9th (or is it 10th?) engine conversion - which is turning into a full scale rebuild...
Is that with the Mk1?

Membership No. 323
mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

mark1gls wrote:
mr.brown wrote:Plodding on with the 9th (or is it 10th?) engine conversion - which is turning into a full scale rebuild...
Is that with the Mk1?
Yep. :-D

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Nice... you will have to update your project thread on the Mk1 so we can see what you have been up to. :-D

Membership No. 323
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

GTX mechanical refresh at Rocco Grotto has become a full resto. It was due to be finished when the sump came off and bits of bearing were found in there. So it now needs a full engine rebuild, and seeing as there's a small amount of grot on one of the rear arches, I figured that if I'm going to spend a lot of money on it, I may as well spend more money and have everything sorted out. So that won't be back on the road until 2018 sometime, but hopefully it'll not need much else for a long time after that.

Cup car is off to the rolling road mid-July to find out why it's down on power, and there are still a few bits to finish off before it's track-ready.

GTi is waiting its turn at the grotto and still toying with what engine will be going in there... don't expect that one to be on the road for another 2-3 years at least. I think the X1/9 will probably get a look-in first (if there's anything left to restore after it's been dipped).

GLi is doing ok but needs a bit of tidying here and there, not least the headlining round the sunroof.

I'm afraid I don't have much time to spend here or on Facebook at the moment.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

still here, but lurking a bit more since i 'finished' mine and have been building sheds and bathrooms! once the VR6 conversion starts i will be updating a bit more

My build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14083
Jerry Atric

Post by Jerry Atric »

I drop in too almost every day, but that's a benefit of being retired...i.e. more spare time.
Do FB as well, but like to trawl through the threads on here for the pleasure of seeing other folks cars and projects as well as finding a wealth of good information, not to mention spare parts on occasion.
Just seems a few others who use their I phones are somewhat quicker on the draw than me....

Village Idiots

Post by Village Idiots »

To Steve Bain: Do you have a VR6 engine? I have 2 you can have, one 2.9 and one 2.8.