Buying / restoring a Scirocco MK2

General discussion focusing mainly on the cars and the Scirocco Register - other stuff within reason.
Forum rules
This is a GENERAL discussion area - we have set up specific areas for eg technical queries, model specific issues etc etc to help you get the right answer quicker.
stews
fill in the right answer: 15

Buying / restoring a Scirocco MK2

Post by stews »

Hi all,

Allow me to introduce myself: I became a classic car owner by the medium of purchasing a scruffy MG Midget a few years ago. I drove it around a little and then realised it needed a lot of work. Fast forward a year and a half and I had ended up doing most of it myself and learning a lot in the process.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a restoration but I got it back on the road and I'd imagine it will stay that way for a number of years... just not in my ownership. I need a slightly larger more practical steed that is also fun and the Scirocco seems like a good option.

I've seen a real range for sale. Given I have some capabilities with spanners and even the welder if needed I'm reluctant to shell out for one in excellent condition, plus I like working on cars.

I have a few questions I hope you can help me answer:

- Compared to MGs these cars seem indestructible, but is it still possible to buy a real shed?
- How feasible is a rolling restoration, would any significant work be better done all in one go?

I'm still going through a difficult process of deciding what I want as my next car. I still really love 70s cars and have also looked at some MGBs but I the lure of something better engineered and a bit newer (thus hopefully not requiring quite so much constant fettling) is attractive. Maybe I am being too optimistic about 80s VWs or too harsh on the British sports cars?

GTXTRA
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Buying / restoring a Scirocco MK2

Post by GTXTRA »

Welcome - the project and restoration section should be your first stop on here.

The Rocco Grotto thread well worth a read - one of our own who has brought many a rocco back to life with a range of starting points. Self taught fabricator, welder, prepper, painter etc etc.

As per the CCW article we helped on buy on condition not spec.

Walk away if the rear axle mounts have dissolved and be wary of damp interiors, especially near the fusebox.

I've driven Sciroccos since 1985 and the Mk2's are pretty much bullet proof if you keep on top of clearing the rear arches, watch out for leaks and bother to service/replace worn out bits. I happily drive one to Merseyside from London several times a year.

Depending on where you are based there's also likely to be a helpful sort who can check a car out with/for you.

Get along to Stanford Hall VW show on May Bank Holiday weekend - great selection of cars on our stand and some very knowledgeable folk who will be happy to chat/advise/steer.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

You do need to be careful of the mk2s with the body kit (I.e. Most of them). I've seen many horrors lurking under there that you just don't know about until the kit comes off (largely absent wheel arches and sills, for example). The mechanical side of things will give you enough to worry about, so I'd recommend getting a solid one at least.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
whiteshark

Post by whiteshark »

Unless you love welding, and taking Bodykits off and on after the welding and repainting, go for a solid she'll. MG,s are great fun but the handling and torque In a Scirocco is more fun. Get one that's dry inside, check the fuel neck, drivers rear strut, and see if the doors shut smoothly. If it's a body kit the drivers rear arches can fall apart. I loved my Gt II carb, but problematic. If I had a choice again I would go with fuel injection, not for the fun, but for the reliability. Upgrade the brakes and stick on some decent suspension and a Webber and your good to go! Good luck in your search.

Nigel GTII

Post by Nigel GTII »

See the article in Classic car weekly I posted last week. I've bought a number of late 80's cars and from my experience paying a bit extra for a good one - preferable one from a club member whose already done a resto is the way to go unless you have the time and a large wallet ! and enjoy taking six months to fully restore a car in your spare time! Scirocco MK2's are currently well undervalued but beware buying a dog for £2-2,500 there rea plenty out there. Better to pay £3-4,000 for a really top car. I bought mine in August and the previous owner spent £6,000 in doing a resto and I've spent more as well. I've learnt from experience that there are so many classic 80's cars out there for £2-4,000 but expect to spent a lot ! - One car I have has had £12,000 spent on it in doing a full bare shell restoration -it's probably work 36,000 max which is why there are loads of tatty ones for £3,000 ! same applies to the Scirocco

stews

Post by stews »

Thanks for all the advice so far - very helpful. I think I need to look at a few examples now to get an idea of what I can expect in my budget. I'll let you know how it goes.