Yes...It's me again :-)

General discussion focusing mainly on the cars and the Scirocco Register - other stuff within reason.
Forum rules
This is a GENERAL discussion area - we have set up specific areas for eg technical queries, model specific issues etc etc to help you get the right answer quicker.
cranwellpoacher
fill in the right answer: 10

Yes...It's me again :-)

Post by cranwellpoacher »

After a considerable absence from this forum I have made a concerted effort to get involved again....so here i am :-). For those of you who know me ,I still have my 1987 Mk2 1.8 Scala "Scotlett" which many of you will no doubt know was purchased to replace my brilliant "Scarlett" Scala which, after loosing an argument with a 44 ton HGV (and then myself loosing an argument in court with the drivers legal rep!!) is sadly sat outside my home in Lincolnshire awaiting a miracle ...or a lottery win...whichever comes first!. Scotlett is in a garage awaiting some TLC and an MOT.
I am planning on replacing my current daily driver, a "Tangerine Scream" Ford Focus ST-2 with another ,newer scirocco...a Mk3.
Could I ask for advice, Suggestions, warnings etc from those who know about the Mk3 before I commit to a specific model. I have posted a request for info in the mk3 section of the forum.

Cheers Chaps.
Keep on Roccin :-)

scrappy1382
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Yes...It's me again :-)

Post by scrappy1382 »

good to see you back buddy. 1st things first - have you seen the dvla website regarding the new tax changes to cars starting april ??

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/c ... k-road-tax

check it out andy ....
although i have never really been too fond of the mk3 scirocco, i would say watch out for any type of handling issues these cars have/ cant handle. Many that are currently up on ebay seem to always have front end damage on either corner ( i may or may not be onto something here ) but seems they suffer badly from understeer . unless its numptys buying budget tyres and trying to race on them ???? who knows.
reliability - never known any issue whilst ive been working for sxxtfit for over a year now. except for rear negative camber wears quickly , so get a geo done on ya car fella

Scirocco Shane
84 cosmos blue storm - mafia car choice 2015 rip :-(
84 Havanna Brown Storm - 8-)
james butler

Post by james butler »

glad to hear your making a comeback i remember when you got hit and couldnt believe the bad news with the claim.

unfortunately my knowledge of mk3s is minimal other than check and double check the service history and the general condition of the cars as ive been to see a few that are 3 years old or less and they have been abused!!! :shock:
it would seem they are a favourite amoungst the rep mobiles and lease hire types, neither own the car and couldnt give a stuff about looking after it.
see thread below for the grim details
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19667

needless to say there are some good ones out there but just be wary

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

scrappy1382 wrote:good to see you back buddy. 1st things first - have you seen the dvla website regarding the new tax changes to cars starting april ??

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/c ... k-road-tax
That only effects new cars registered after April 1st though doesn't it?

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
scrappy1382
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by scrappy1382 »

All cars after 2001 based on its emissions. Unfortunately my 2003 406 does, i will be paying £90 more tax

Scirocco Shane
84 cosmos blue storm - mafia car choice 2015 rip :-(
84 Havanna Brown Storm - 8-)
DT1

Post by DT1 »

scrappy1382 wrote:All cars after 2001 based on its emissions. Unfortunately my 2003 406 does, i will be paying £90 more tax
Pretty sure it's not retrospective as per link from Mr Funk.

From HMRC:

Who is likely to be affected? Purchasers of cars first registered from 1 April 2017 onwards.