Homogenation information

General discussion focusing mainly on the cars and the Scirocco Register - other stuff within reason.
Forum rules
This is a GENERAL discussion area - we have set up specific areas for eg technical queries, model specific issues etc etc to help you get the right answer quicker.
p in phcas
fill in the right answer: 10

Homogenation information

Post by p in phcas »

All,

I'm thinking of taking my Scala overseas for a bit (as a spare car at a friends house) and have found out I need homogenation papers so it can be registered there. Any idea on:

Where I can get the homogenation info for a 1990 Scala?
What might be required in a foreign country (Slovenia) for registration?
Will I have to de-register in the UK even though the car might come back at some point?
Would I get my original reg back if I did de-register? I guess it would be the same if having a private plate.
How long can I keep the car in another country without going through registration - is there an Eu law or is it all local laws?

I know I'd have to change the headlights to LHD, do you think there would be anything else?

PM

Scala in black - mine... all mine... bwah ha ha ha ha 'cough' mwahha
the edmundator

Re: Homogenation information

Post by the edmundator »

Surely it depends on how long you're going to be abroad. You can take cars abroad for an indefinite amount of time (think of people who go on epic transglobal adventures) but I imagine if you stay in one country there's a limit on how long without needing to register in that country.

A friend of mine had his car in Germany for around 6 months and no changes were required.

If you register elsewhere, then you will essentially be exporting it - there will be taxes/fees to pay and you can't have it registered in the UK as well. Usually, the DVLA retain plates that have been used and it's fairly easy to get the original plate back when you re-register.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
duggers

Post by duggers »

Slovenia is a member of the EU so you can keep a vehicle there for 6 months without any need to register. You will need to sort insurance out for that length of time as I think no one will insure you here for former Yugoslav countries for that period .
Do what the Eastern Europeans do round here, take the car home every six months (so they don't have to pay VED at UK rates or have a UK MOT etc) to show it s not exported.
Best way is buy something local.....

Apparently the dreadful paint on my Rocco is PATINA....
Membership # 432
p in phcas

Post by p in phcas »

thanks chaps

Scala in black - mine... all mine... bwah ha ha ha ha 'cough' mwahha