Power assisted bikes

General discussion focusing mainly on the cars and the Scirocco Register - other stuff within reason.
Forum rules
This is a GENERAL discussion area - we have set up specific areas for eg technical queries, model specific issues etc etc to help you get the right answer quicker.
Village Idiots
fill in the right answer: 10

Power assisted bikes

Post by Village Idiots »

I'm sorry, but not Scirocco related query. Does anybody know what the legal position is re power assistance on push bikes. At the moment there seems to be a proliferation of electrically assisted bicycles (and electrically powered disability scooters). As far as I am aware these seem to be free from registration, road tax and insurance.
Why my interest? I can hear you asking!
I have acquired an 80cc clip on 2 stroke motor which I am attaching to a normal push bike.
Do I need to register, tax and insure to use it on the road? Or is there some exemption, maybe related to power or speed?
Could I pedal it on the road if I don't use the engine? Seems a bit pointless!
Or am I able to use it only on private roads and land?

An interesting discussion point, maybe!!

Cheers,
Jem

scrappy1382
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Power assisted bikes

Post by scrappy1382 »

i think the power of that being an 80cc motor, you would be highly limited as to where you can use it im afraid. believe it would be catagorised as motor propelled vehicle. believe it would be put in the same class as a mini moto ( private use only ) but i maybe wrong

Scirocco Shane
84 cosmos blue storm - mafia car choice 2015 rip :-(
84 Havanna Brown Storm - 8-)
duggers

Post by duggers »

Fitting that would make it a motor vehicle (cycle) and require reg, insurance and test to use on any public highway.
Electric bikes have to be limited, i think to 14mph otherwise they would need the same.
I never did the 50cc thing, just waited to 17 and bought a 250, slapped some L plates on and rode off and crashed, it was 1980 after all. Early mopeds ( had to be able to propel them with the pedals) could achieve close to 50mph as standard so 80cc on a push bike would really fly.

Apparently the dreadful paint on my Rocco is PATINA....
Membership # 432
james butler

Post by james butler »

As duggers said anything with a combustion engine is liable for tax and test plus insurance.
They do have laws on electric bikes and some more will be coming as I have seen these things do 40mph and therefore should and will be legislated to either restrict the top speed and power, or have to be registered and tested.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
SYNCRO

Post by SYNCRO »

1984 T25 Autohomes Kamper (BIFFA)
1987 Scirocco Scala (TERRY)
2014 Golf GT TDi (Dirty Gerty)