Thinking out load.........opinions

General discussion focusing mainly on the cars and the Scirocco Register - other stuff within reason.
Forum rules
This is a GENERAL discussion area - we have set up specific areas for eg technical queries, model specific issues etc etc to help you get the right answer quicker.
jim91
fill in the right answer: 10

Thinking out load.........opinions

Post by jim91 »

Howdy folks, bit of a dilemma on the car front at the mo. I've 4 VWs and it's maybe getting a bit too much. MK4 Golf TDi that's the wifes / family car that we'll be wanting to change soon as could use a bit more space, possibly an Octavia VRS. 91 Rocco that I've owned for 8years, love driving it and would daily it as much as possible, not driven really since November as had a few wee issues that are being sorted at present. 67 bug that I've owned 20years and spent thousands on, it's not mint, but a great car that I haven't driven since June and found myself only doing 100 miles or so in it past few years. I've an old polo as well that we've had for years that's of pure sentimental value and in need of tlc.

I've been debating parting with bug or rocco along with Golf to help fund new family wagon. If sold bug would leave garage free for rocco, but if sold either I know I'll regret at some point in future. Alot of non rocco folk don't really appreciate how enjoyable they are and woul;dn't understand how I could have to think about what to part with.

Any thoughts or opinions folks?

mr.brown
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Thinking out load.........opinions

Post by mr.brown »

Bugs are (or seem to be) a lot more freely available than mk2 Sciroccos - just take a look around the internet classifieds. You'll find it a lot easier to find a good Beetle than a good Scirocco.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

jim91 wrote:MK4 Golf TDi that's the wifes / family car that we'll be wanting to change soon as could use a bit more space, possibly an Octavia VRS.
Would an Octavia have that much more space (I'm thinking leg room in the back - presumably the boot will be much better)?

Octavia elegance kombi TDI
Nate

Post by Nate »

Ryan wrote:
jim91 wrote:MK4 Golf TDi that's the wifes / family car that we'll be wanting to change soon as could use a bit more space, possibly an Octavia VRS.
Would an Octavia have that much more space (I'm thinking leg room in the back - presumably the boot will be much better)?
I they've got the same floor pan,and I'm reasonably sure they have, then it will be the same

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
jim91

Post by jim91 »

Much the same leg room wise, but whopping great boot on them, 2 kids car seats in rear so aside from people carrier not many motors are much broader etc in rear. Want something a bit newer too, intially thinking passat estate but too many folks put me of the 05 on type.

Nate

Post by Nate »

Personally I'd ealk away from anything with an electric handbrake. Hateful things

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
goaferboy

Post by goaferboy »

I would sell the Beetle. I had a few beetles (well a beach buggy and a Volksrod) and although they looked amazing, they drove like shit. The Scirocco is much more fun to drive IMO, which is what you'll be spending most of your time doing.

In short: Keep the Beetle if you want a car to look at, keep the Scirocco if you want one to drive.

whiteshark

Post by whiteshark »

Get somewhere else to store the bug. Even if it sits for ages it will always start. If you sell the Scirocco or the bug you will hate yourself. Your bug has been loved well and goes like stink, as far as bugs do. If you want something big space wise in the back go for a BMW 5 series. Massive room in the back and great boot space. Easily fits two kids seats with room for somebody to sit in the middle easily.

jim91

Post by jim91 »

Thinking of holding onto both and getting an 04ish c class maybe. Not much if any bigger than Golf Mrs wants an auto so one of these not be much more than I'll get for the Mk4 tdi. If don't work out shouldn't lose much £ if any on it, if does maybe look for an estate one as they seem get alot better £ than saloons. Bug still not left garage though and covered in dust, don't really want it, but don't want see anyone else with it lol dear ornament at the mo, but want be 100% sure before I'd part with it.

Here's pic of bug

Rusty dan

Post by Rusty dan »

I would sell the polo, store the bug and keep on rocco'ing! I am sure if you sold part ex the golf you could get something reasonable.

Click below for Rocco build pics
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w114 ... occo%20GT/

insanecreations.net
jim91

Post by jim91 »

Went for the easy option............... Golf sold and bought this c220cdi auto. Everything else staying for time being!!!