Did you drive any of these.

General discussion focusing mainly on the cars and the Scirocco Register - other stuff within reason.
Forum rules
This is a GENERAL discussion area - we have set up specific areas for eg technical queries, model specific issues etc etc to help you get the right answer quicker.
whiteshark
fill in the right answer: 10

Did you drive any of these.

Post by whiteshark »

Theres always the question, how rare are Scirocco's these days and why is there value not rising?

Check this link out. Do you remember or have you previously owned one of these cars.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/enthusias ... hp#image=1

I love the comment made in the Renault 4 section.
Visit France today and you’ll see a huge number of Renault 4s still enjoying active service. Over here, in image-conscious and finance-friendly Britain, there are a mere 253 actually on the road.

I learned to drive in a Renault 4 and a Toyota Tercel! I was even offered the Tercel to keep at the time but being seventeen it was to dear to insure so I bought a MK1 golf and a Mini.

Any of our older members have similar memories of one we should have kept or any younger members remember any of these as their dads cars!
Boy I'm getting old!

DannyH

Re: Did you drive any of these.

Post by DannyH »

Excellent find.

Danny
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

My first car was an AX and I've had an XM as well. I think that out of that lot, I'd buy a 924, Alfa 155 and Saab 99.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
Jerry Atric
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Jerry Atric »

Before joining the Register, I was very much into the old Audis, having had them as relatively new cars back in the 80's. So in very recent times I've had all of the Audi family in various guises. Audi 80 coupes , including a very nice tornado red quattro, ( not a UR unfortunately as my funds don't run to supercars ) plus 90's and the early Audi 100's.
Being probably one of the oldest members on here, I learnt to drive on an Austin 8 , my grandfathers car from new, and eventually it was passed on to me. Later my second car was a Ford Mk1 Zephyr 6, wonderful car and I'd certainly still like to have that.
List of cars that followed over the next 54 years is massive, Minis, Beetles in profusion, Triumph Vitesse, but the recent ( last 15 years) cars have been the best including a Porsche 944 and all the old Audis.
Now the Scirocco fills the bill for me, particularly as it's so fast ( perfect for the lanes of Cornwall ) , reasonably practical, and MOST importantly, still fairly easy to get spares for. Old Audis are a bit of a nightmare these days in that respect.
From the above link, there really are not too many cars that rock my boat as indeed back in the day they didn't either.
Possibly a Porsche 924 ? The rest are .....well, just the rest. :bye:

Jack92
Site Admin

Post by Jack92 »

Great link! Nice find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack
South East

VW Scirocco Scala MK2 1.8 Inj
Jaguar XE

www.jackgregory.me.uk
scrumpyone

Post by scrumpyone »

Had a white Opel Manta for about 3 months in 1996. It got nicked & written off :-( But then I bought my Rocco :-D

Dave

Register No:1110
'79 MK1 GLS (R.I.P.)
'91 MK2 GT2 (alive & kicking)
Nate

Post by Nate »

i'd question the word "popular" on some of those, like the sad eye scorpio and the kia pride

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
Nigel GTII

Post by Nigel GTII »

Very few of these will be a future classic - apart from the Fords. Surprised to see a Porsche ( was it a 924 or 944 - can't remember)

I've had an Opel Manta and I have a mint Alfa Sud Ti - they are already classic - a dealer is selling a fully restored car on ebay for £20,000 !

So many 80 /90's cars were scrapped under the Governments Scrappage Scheme - criminal loss of spares

steve bain

Post by steve bain »

my first car was a volvo 360 GLS. loved that. i also had a metro at some point.

sad to see the renault 21 and fiesta didn't make it in....

My build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14083
16v_coupe

Post by 16v_coupe »

Of the 101 cars on this last, I owned and drove #18 a 1980 Porsche 924 turbo, also know as 931(LHD model) & 932(RHD model) for 14 years which was an Awesome car to drive since the weight disruption is 51/49 on a rear wheel drive vehicle :vcool:

^ this is not my car, but mine had the same 2 tone paint on it like this 1 with 16in. phone wheels.

88 Scirocco 16v, 1.8 litre PL, L90E
87 Scirocco 16v, 2.0 litre 16v 9A, LY3D
82 Scirocco S2, 2.0 litre 16v 9A, LK5Y
81 Scirocco S1, 1.6 litre 16v EW/PL, LA3V
80 Scirocco Storm, 1.6 EG, L98F, GTG 951W (sold, in PA)

:pilot: