Original Spec Tyres for 13" rims

Standard and aftermarket Wheels and Tyres
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
RussGLAuto
fill in the right answer: 15

Original Spec Tyres for 13" rims

Post by RussGLAuto »

Right then readers, looking to replace all five 18 year old tyres (surprised it passed the last MOT!). Would I be correct in saying that the original spec tyres for my car are Pirelli P600?

They don't make those any longer, would like to keep my 83 Mk2 as close to original spec as poss. I'm open to offers for suggested replacement 175/70/R13's that would please those aficionados among us.

Assuming Pirelli is the correct make(?), having done some research on the inter-webs I have found some possible candidates:

Pirelli CN36 Cinturato - these are real vintage spec and unlikely to be up to modern standards. But then, not planning on rallying any time soon...

Pirelli P4 Cinturato - a more modern replacement.

Thanks for your suggestions.

One more point, my speedo is way off, indicating 52 mph @ 60 mph GPS speed. Any thoughts?

Russ

Daily Driver - 2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Twin Engine - Polestar - Arctic White
Weekend Wagon - 51k 1982 Mk2 Scirocco 1.6 GL Auto - Diamond Silver
Other Half's Wagon - 2018 Mk7.5 Golf GT TSi Auto - White
Daughters Curb Scraper - 2016 Fiat 500 1.2 - White
GTXTRA
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Original Spec Tyres for 13" rims

Post by GTXTRA »

There wasn't really a set factory spec tyre back in the day on the non GTI VW's iirc - the P6 was always associated with the 14'' P Wheel of course.

E.G. My 82 CL had Pirellis on when i got it during 1985. My brothers 85 Jetta CL came with Michelins.

It's good you're dumping the 18 year old stuff - just go for quality.

Practical Classics mag runs a few adverts for modern tech but retro look tyres, worth checking out.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Normally most VWs over read by 5mph, speedo 60mph and gps reads 55mph not the other way round.
2 things could be wrong, someone has had the instrument apart and removed the needle then not put it back in the right place or you have the wrong type of cog at the end of the speedo cable inside the gearbox, there is 3 types of cogs in 3 different colours with different amount of teeth.

With the speedo needle there is a mark below the pin which you line it up with when removing the needle. (I can’t find the guide to this..) but you carefully lift the end over over pin and let it rest and it should line up with a white line below the pin.

Speedo drive cog, very carefully remove the cable from the gearbox as the plastic cog can fall off the end of the cable and if it drops into the gearbox it’s very very hard to get it out, the cog is held on with a C clip and common for that the fail and cog can easily fall off. Check what colour cog you have fitted.

Some info here.
http://www.brokevw.com/020ratios.html

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
RussGLAuto

Post by RussGLAuto »

mark1gls wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:44 pm Normally most VWs over read by 5mph, speedo 60mph and gps reads 55mph not the other way round.
2 things could be wrong, someone has had the instrument apart and removed the needle then not put it back in the right place or you have the wrong type of cog at the end of the speedo cable inside the gearbox, there is 3 types of cogs in 3 different colours with different amount of teeth.

With the speedo needle there is a mark below the pin which you line it up with when removing the needle. (I can’t find the guide to this..) but you carefully lift the end over over pin and let it rest and it should line up with a white line below the pin.

Speedo drive cog, very carefully remove the cable from the gearbox as the plastic cog can fall off the end of the cable and if it drops into the gearbox it’s very very hard to get it out, the cog is held on with a C clip and common for that the fail and cog can easily fall off. Check what colour cog you have fitted.

Some info here.
http://www.brokevw.com/020ratios.html
You're quite right, speedo reads 60 and GPS shows 52 mph. Senior moment sorry. I guess that's close enough for 1983! A new set of rubber might sort that out anyway.

Good info though thank you.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Yes try new tyres and see if it's any closer as they will have more tread on them.
Update us when you have and tested the speedo. :good:

Membership No. 323
RussGLAuto

Post by RussGLAuto »

mark1gls wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:20 am Yes try new tyres and see if it's any closer as they will have more tread on them.
Update us when you have and tested the speedo. :good:
So, new set of Good Year's all round from All Tyres 365 - £26 each so think I may have robbed them, tracking sorted too and brake fluid changed at Bush tyres. The driving transformation is noticeable, and the steering wheel is spot on in the centre. For a change... gave Bush the steering geometry setup from the Haynes Manual as they didn't have the info.

Checked the GPS / speedo reading yesterday. A constant 4 mph low difference as you predicted instead of the 7-8 with the old tyres. Sorted!

Btw, just read your Skyrocket 50 article on the A reg 1.6 GL. Awesome, like looking at a carbon copy of JWC56Y! Great stuff, keep it coming...

Cheers

Russ

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

That's a good price for the tyres, bet you wished you changed them earlier than 18 years ago... No need to risk old hard/cracked tyres at that price.. :-D

Membership No. 323
RussGLAuto

Post by RussGLAuto »

Yes, daylight robbery! Unfortunately what seems to happen when cars of any age change hands too frequently, between dealers especially, all try and get away with not changing the rubber.

Even had it on my 63 plate Volvo XC90 I bought last year. Worse still, the well known car supermarket I bought it from faked the MOT advisory that they should be changed to clear it without actually having them changed...

Got some hefty concessions off for pointing that one out to them!

RussGLAuto

Post by RussGLAuto »

Think I have found the original spec tyres.

Anyone heard of Kleber V12 GTS tyres? Only reason is, I have acquired a set of Tarantula alloys off a Mk1 GTI Golf and noticed the unusual old tread pattern on the spare wheel. It has never been used, full tread depth and the spikey bits of rubber on the side wall... the link suggests they are c. 1976:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Publicite-ma ... 0802507856

Anyway, there we are. Mystery solved!

RussGLAuto

SOS

Post by RussGLAuto »

Hello Chaps,

Well, since lockdown Covid 19 can't go anywhere / do anything / spend anything kicked in, I may have saved a few pennies.

SO, ordered a full (5) set of these rubbers:

https://www.vintagetyres.com/shop/tyres ... -70r13-82v

I acquired an original 1983 model year brochure (Dr Dub will know) which has a GL spec model, same as yours truly with a picture of the exact same tread pattern as these Pirelli's.

I know, I know, I must have more pennies than brains. My OCD just wants GLAdis to be 110% stock...

And I am SO BOARD sitting on a ship in Weymouth Bay for several months at a time reading all your posts on all the great work that is being achieved in various garages across the country when I can't even get on dry land!

When can we get to a show?? Meh... HELP - SOS :dash:

GTXTRA

Re: SOS

Post by GTXTRA »

RussGLAuto wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:48 pm Hello Chaps,

Well, since lockdown Covid 19 can't go anywhere / do anything / spend anything kicked in, I may have saved a few pennies.

I acquired an original 1983 model year brochure (Dr Dub will know) which has a GL spec model, same as yours truly with a picture of the exact same tread pattern as these Pirelli's.

I know, I know, I must have more pennies than brains. My OCD just wants GLAdis to be 110% stock...

And I am SO BOARD sitting on a ship in Weymouth Bay for several months at a time reading all your posts on all the great work that is being achieved in various garages across the country when I can't even get on dry land!

It's going to be brilliant to see this car - check the National 'Meet' threads out - unlikely to be any shows before then tbh.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
GT_II

Post by GT_II »

A great find, Russ, and a perfect choice for Mk1 and early Mk2s running on 13 inch wheels. Not badly priced either. I had to make do with more modern style rubber when I somewhat hesitantly replaced the original 28 year old Michelin MXV2 tyres on my GT II last year. Hopefully within the next 5-10 years there'll be a classic reproduction in the 185/60R14 size too.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
RussGLAuto

Post by RussGLAuto »

Thank you gents, truly looking forward to that day, would be great to finally meet some real live like minded people!

I found the page on Dr Dubs site I was talking about. I was idly browsing the Practical Classics mag this month that I asked a mate of mine to bring a copy with him on board and came across the advert for Vintage Tyres. I thought it was a long shot, but plugged the size in and bingo! Instantly recognised the tread pattern. It's unique.

I'm sure you have looked GT_II, they do a Michelin MXV very close to what your after, slightly more eye watering though. You have expensive taste Sir :shock:

https://www.vintagetyres.com/shop/tyres ... 185r14-90h
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

RussGLAuto wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:38 pm I'm sure you have looked GT_II, they do a Michelin MXV very close to what your after, slightly more eye watering though. You have expensive taste Sir :shock:

https://www.vintagetyres.com/shop/tyres ... 185r14-90h
Yeah, I've seen those, they are standard (82?) profile rather than 60 profile, so much too big, and they also have heavy rim protectors. The closest classic tyre currently is probably the 195/60 MXV3-A, but not close enough:

https://classic.michelin.com/en/Classic ... nge/MXV3-A

Several classic tyre dealers list the Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 in the 185/60R14 size, which I am sure is very good, but isn't really a classic tyre:

https://www.oldtimerreifen24.de/en/oxid ... 85%2F60r14

This size isn't currently listed by Michelin themselves, so I assume is no longer manufactured.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
RussGLAuto

Re: SOS

Post by RussGLAuto »

GTXTRA wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:03 pm
RussGLAuto wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:48 pm Hello Chaps,

It's going to be brilliant to see this car - check the National 'Meet' threads out - unlikely to be any shows before then tbh.
Just sent you a PM Sean.