Part worn tyres

Standard and aftermarket Wheels and Tyres

Moderator: Scirocco Register

Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
scirocco-monkey
fill in the right answer: 10

Part worn tyres

Postby scirocco-monkey » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:47 am

Whats everyones thoughts on part worns? I need two front tyres (badly) and my mate, We shall call him Dave, Swears by part worns but im not so sure. So I deceided to get two brand new ones, It's booked in this afternoon. Two new tyres and tracking all in for £100. Half that for part worns. I suppose you get what you pay for. Whats your thoughts?

bengould

Re: Part worn tyres

Postby bengould » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:07 pm

I used to work for a scrap yard that sold part worn tyres. Never had any issues. We would only sell with a minimum of 6mm tread and all tyres were checked for any damage when being removed. £20 fitted for a 14" tyre, £25 for a 15".

£100 for new with tracking is VERY good though.

scrumpyone

Postby scrumpyone » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:34 pm

OK if you want to get through an MOT prior to selling I suppose (if you can live with your conscience) :diablo:
I wouldn't touch 'em with a barge pole otherwise.
Why compromise the only thing that keeps you on the road & not in the hedge?

Dave

Register No:1110
'79 MK1 GLS (R.I.P.)
'91 MK2 GT2 (alive & kicking)

Tim_R

Postby Tim_R » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:57 pm

I don't really see any difference between buying part worn tyres and fitting to your car when compared to buying a second hand car and driving around on the tyres the previous owner fitted.

I've run second hand tyres without any issues on a couple of occasions, however they they were Toyos or Goodyears rather than ditchfinders like Linglongs, Triangles and Roadstones.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
Saab 9-3 Aero

scirocco-monkey

Postby scirocco-monkey » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:18 pm

Well Ive just had two brand new tyres fitted and the tracking done for £100, Better than what ATS changed me when I bought the car 4 years ago which was £70 for one tyre. Mixed feelings about part worns then, A couple of my mates swear by them and the others say stay away :lol:

james butler

Postby james butler » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:27 pm

not to mention the age of tyres has a dramatic effect on grip and ability to handle heat at high speed usually resulting in blowouts.
there was a documentry not so long ago about the dangers of part worns due to various hazzards that can effect the tyres performance.
the extra tread a new tyre has also has a lot to do with how well the tyre can disperse water to prevent aquaplaning, therefore it stands to reason the less tread you have the more incapable the Tyre is at dispersing water and more likely to aquaplane which is why most european countries have a 3mm limit not 1.6mm.
for the money new tyres with usually double the tread is far better economy and reliability and safteys sake.
i was a tyre fitter nearly 10 years ago and we used to get tyres in from europe who had a 3mm tread depth limit so most of the tyres we sold as part worns had 3-4mm of tread. ok you have some good name brands that may be ok after a few years but i would definately never trust a cheaper second hand budget tyre even if it were a tenner.
its been said before but the only thing between you and the road is your tyres, so the FIRST performance mod you should ever do on ANY car is to fit good quality tyres and pay the premium because you will need it sooner or later.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!

james butler

Postby james butler » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:33 pm

this is really worth looking into if your tempted by part worns and will arm you with the info to know the difference between a good one and a bad one
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18774

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!

Return to “Wheels and Tyres”