New wheels fitted causing problems

Standard and aftermarket Wheels and Tyres
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
daveyg

New wheels fitted causing problems

Post by daveyg »

I have had a set of cool OZ in the shed for a while and with the purchase of a new Scirocco thought it was time for them to see the road. Got the tyres fitted yesterday lunchtime and balanced up. Got them on the car last night and they look great but didn't have time to test drive the car.

Got in it this morning and pulled a few inches forward as I was in a tight space. Popped it into reverse and started to go back only to meet some resistance, initially I thought I had left a wooden block or the jack under the car but nothing there. Went to put the handbrake on and it wouldn't pull up so im thinking I have done something to the handbrake cable. At this point I was at a funny angle so pulled back forward and it felt wobbly and sounded strange, once I had pulled forward the handbrake came on okay. Didn't really have time to look as was on the way to work.

Any ideas?!!

GTXTRA
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: New wheels fitted causing problems

Post by GTXTRA »

Offsets?
Bolts too long and hitting rear brake components inside drum- it has happened.
Loose brake calipers- it has happened before.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
daveyg

Post by daveyg »

Good shout Sean, will hopefully get to take a look this afternoon weather and child dependant. I have various sets of length wheel bolts so will give that a try.

Thanks for the reply, will have to get a project thread up

GTXTRA
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by GTXTRA »

If they have fouled the rear brakes you will need to refit the springs that operate rear brake shoes in all likelihood.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
daveyg

Post by daveyg »

Jacked the car up tonight and the wheel span freely while it was up noticed something had wiped the dirt off the spring. Lowered it back to the floor and the wheel is rubbing on it. So looks like I need to space the rears out slightly so off to the parts wanted section I go....