Wheel Buckle Repair

Standard and aftermarket Wheels and Tyres
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Risocco
fill in the right answer: 10

Wheel Buckle Repair

Post by Risocco »

Any ideas gents on a home repair for a slight buckle in an alloy wheel? I'm assuming just smacking it with a hammer won't be good enough?

Any success stories much appreciated

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6
bengould

Re: Wheel Buckle Repair

Post by bengould »

No a hammer isn't the way to go. I got one of mine done near Glasgow somewhere for £35, after he'd done it he spun it on the balancer and it didn't need any weights it was that straight. Well worth getting it done properly.

Ben.

Nate

Re: Wheel Buckle Repair

Post by Nate »

they need to be heat treated and properly inspected for cracks etc. there isn't a safe DIY method, professional straightening is the only way forward. i can highly recommend platinum wheels in swindon (behind the porsche garage) quick turnaround and excellent work. not the cheapest though but they spun up on the balancer as perfectly balanced, and the repair isn't at all visible.

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3