Before I buy the wrong wheels (again)

Standard and aftermarket Wheels and Tyres
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Niall
fill in the right answer: 10

Before I buy the wrong wheels (again)

Post by Niall »

Bought some 15" ATS Cups a few weeks back only to find they rub on the brake calipers. I'm told the discs are 288mm so I figure getting 16's should solve the problem.
I know the arch liners need to go on the front and I might need to raise the coilovers a little.

This conversion chart makes it look like there will be almost no difference if I get low profile tyres.
Would it be as simple as a straight swap to bigger wheels and lower profile tyres?

Rascal
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Before I buy the wrong wheels (again)

Post by Rascal »

do you get tyres that size? dont see why there would be a problem then?

Niall

Post by Niall »

Rascal wrote:do you get tyres that size? dont see why there would be a problem then?
I've seen Falkens for a fair price. It just seems a little too easy that I could fit 16's with little or no problem.

ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ianaudia4 »

Tony (mazallen) had 16" wheels fitted to his old BBS GTi, hopefully he will pop and and advise you. I don't think he had removed the arch liners?

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

Top of my head my fronts are 195 40 (or 45, can never remember) 16s on a 7" and 215 40 (or 45) 16s on 9" on the rear.
100 - 110mm lower, poo shield in the bin and arches professionally rolled.

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
Niall

Post by Niall »

ianaudia4 wrote:Tony (mazallen) had 16" wheels fitted to his old BBS GTi, hopefully he will pop and and advise you. I don't think he had removed the arch liners?
Mr Funk wrote:Top of my head my fronts are 195 40 (or 45, can never remember) 16s on a 7" and 215 40 (or 45) 16s on 9" on the rear.
100 - 110mm lower, poo shield in the bin and arches professionally rolled.
Wheels I'm currently eyeing up are 16x7.5 front and 16x9 on the back. I don't know how the width translates across the tires. But I hope I'm right in thinking that 195 or 205 /35/r16 should be about the same as my current set up of 195/45/r15.

As far as the arch liners go the bloke in the body shop offered to remove them and seal them for a few quid whilst he's sorting some other bits out so I don't have an issue with that.

Nate

Post by Nate »

if you have the same width wheels & tyres, just with a lower profile and a larger rim, so the overall size will be the same, they should fit no worries

for reference, i've got 280mm discs with 15" rims, and they do fit, so long as i don't use stick on wheel weights on the inside of the rim

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3